• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is 1ml of emeprid oral suspension right?

After her not eating episode this morning Maddie had an injection and the vet sent me home with the emeprid stuff and a 1ml syringe and the instructions say give 1mls every 12 hours. The liquid fills the syringe though but the vet said about giving her some this evening and some in the morning.

Maddie is 2.1 or 2.2kg.

I am not really sure what you are asking :?

If what you have is Emeprid (AKA Metoclopramide) Suspension 1mg/ml then giving Maddie a 1ml dose every 12 hours is within the normal dose range

I'm probably not explaining myself very well because I don't know what I'm talking about!

It's just the instructions on the bottle said "1ml every 12 hours" but the liquid in the bottle filled a 1ml syringe and now there's nothing left in the bottle. Would you have expected them to give more than one dose? She does mostly seem to be eating but not quite back to normal.

That seems odd...probably a stupid question but is it definitely a 1ml syringe??

When Apache was poorly he was prescribed a Emeprid 2-3 times daily, to continue until he was pooing normally again, and they gave me enough for about 6 days.

I would recommend phoning the vet in the morning to check...how is Maddie now??

That seems odd...probably a stupid question but is it definitely a 1ml syringe??

When Apache was poorly he was prescribed a Emeprid 2-3 times daily, to continue until he was pooing normally again, and they gave me enough for about 6 days.

I would recommend phoning the vet in the morning to check...how is Maddie now??

It says 1ml on the packet it came in and it counts up from 0.1 to 1.0 on it. I've never had to give medicine before so I'm a bit in the dark. I probably should have asked more questions at the vets. But they said to give a 1ml dose and gave me a 1ml syringe so it sounded easy enough!

Maddie's started eating hay normally in the last hour and has also done 2 flops so I think she's basically back to normal hopefully.

It says 1ml on the packet it came in and it counts up from 0.1 to 1.0 on it. I've never had to give medicine before so I'm a bit in the dark. I probably should have asked more questions at the vets. But they said to give a 1ml dose and gave me a 1ml syringe so it sounded easy enough!

Maddie's started eating hay normally in the last hour and has also done 2 flops so I think she's basically back to normal hopefully.

Maybe your vet meant for you to give one more dose, which you have now done. So long as she is back to normal things seem OK. Any doubts and you could double check with the vet nurse tomorrow maybe?

That sounds fine to me (I am not a vet though so still worth checking with them!)

If the syringe says 1ml on it will be 1ml, I was just checking as there are 2ml and 5ml ones and as I have a lot and am foolish I sometimes get confused :oops:

Glad she's feeling better :wave:

Maybe your vet meant for you to give one more dose, which you have now done. So long as she is back to normal things seem OK. Any doubts and you could double check with the vet nurse tomorrow maybe?

She has just snatched a pellet from me while still eating a piece of hay :lol:

Back