• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Market research for new rabbit product / business start up.

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
edit :

I have now seen hungrybuns website which I did not know existed... Someone alreay does this so think I will leave it to the experts.......

Apologies

I have been following facebook and have heard about a "bunny box" drama whereby people were promised products that were not value for money or never arrived

I have been looking into the idea (and costing) and think I could do it properly and deliver great results. The way to keep costs down would be to adopt a 'large letter' sized postage box in card that the bunny could also demolish !

What would people like to expect in a product like this ?

My idea so far would be to include willow and fruit sticks , a little high quality hay for packing, fenugreek crunchies and similar , herbal forages , compressed hay cakes etc . The more ordered the cheaper they would be because of postage etc.

What price is reasonable to expect to pay ? Would people buy them as gifts for other bunny / guinea owners ?

Please give me your views and bear in mind the boxes are 21mm thick for postage and can weigh up to 500g

Jemma

Last edited:
No idea on any, but want to wish you good luck and that I'll be your first customer once you're sorted! :thumb::thumb:

No idea on any, but want to wish you good luck and that I'll be your first customer once you're sorted! :thumb::thumb:

Thank you ! ! I just want to make sure i work out my numbers and do my research before I commit. I dont want to get it wrong !

Hi Jemma,

I'm going to be posting a blog post about owning a rabbit business soon, hopefully you'll find it interesting.

Are you planning on making your own stuff or are you going to be a reseller?

Last edited:
I plan to buy in bulk and divide to give people a selection of items that would normally cost a lot more to buy .... like a sampler / pic n mix.

Thank u. Il keep an eye out

Righto, blog post is up: https://hungrybun.com/blog/before-you-start-a-treats-business-read-this/

Be aware that there are other costs than just your stock. Insurance, accounting, web hosting, and many more. Also be aware that you will likely need to be approved to handle the pet food. It's easier to be a reseller than a manufacturer, but you'll likely still need to be approved and have inspections.

I also say this to every single person that asks about running a pet business: it's long hours, and not much pay. Most people believe that running their own business is easy cash, lol it's not! And you'll spend a lot of money, and time, before you start to make money.

I don't want to put anyone off, by any means, I just wish I'd had this information when I started HungryBun. It'd have made my life a lot easier I tell you!

Thank you for your lovely comments about the website btw

Best of luck with your new venture :)

I read the blog and looked at your site. I didnt know your company existed ! Havent been on RU since 2013... think i will be leaving it up to the experts....

Since looking on your site i realised how eerily similar my brainstorm was to your product .... i apologise. X thank u

I read the blog and looked at your site. I didnt know your company existed ! Havent been on RU since 2013... think i will be leaving it up to the experts....

Since looking on your site i realised how eerily similar my brainstorm was to your product .... i apologise. X thank u

Don't apologize, great minds think alike! :lol:

We're still really new to be honest, it took a loooong time to get fully approved/insured/all that boring jazz :)

Back