• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gosh - felt like I was sitting an exam at the vets...

Fellie

Warren Veteran
I've just taken the Loopy Lops (Sheldon and Holly) to the vets for their annual checkup and vaccinations - so their first time at Trinity's. Not sure if was Mark I saw - I think so as I've seen 2 other guys there previously.

Anyway - he was examining Holly and asked about her appetite and I mentioned that she has recently gone through a couple phases of not eating - but seeming okay in herself and not in pain although I am aware that buns can hide pain very well - but she was binkying around at the time of not eating and was in all other ways fine and passing poops and was eating the next day. I also mentioned that she has had a couple of bouts of proper stasis over the last couple of years - and then the questions started::shock:

Q. During the stasis bouts - what did you notice
A. Hunched up, not eating, wouldn't let me feel her tummy

Q. What did you do
A. Took her to the emergency vets as soon as I noticed .

Q. What do you feed your rabbits
A. Science select, fibre sticks and a few herbs and hay all the time

Q. What hay do you feed
A. Timothy

Q. Aren't you a gorgeous little girl - let me see your teeth now
A. Thump (from Holly - not me) :lol:

Poor kids - they've never had their back teeth looked at before - but all was fine...and I think I passed...very reassuring actually to have had the buns have such a thorough check and to be declared fit, fat and healthy - not even the dreaded 'D' word (even though they could do with losing a bit of weight:)). And also very reassuring to have a vet that can obviously handle rabbits that are extremely unimpressed with the whole situation and trying their hardest to wiggle away :love:

:lol: well done for passing your exam!

I just got the "new bunny" quiz from the vet nurse before seeing the vet (what does he eat PRECISELY, how many friends, health, accommodation etc etc) followed by a lecture why muesli feed is not recommended for bunnies for XYZ (of which I firmly stuck by my stance that rabbit royale is one of the higher quality mueslis, they get hardly any anyway and neither are picky eaters so they aren't missing out on any particular nutrients), but still it's good that they're trying to inform owners on how to correctly keep bunnies!

He sounds great, does he do home visits ? I'm in Scotland ! :p

If I could clone him for you I would :D

It is so silly to be surprised by the questions - these are questions that EVERY vet should be asking on first seeing a new patient - an ounce of prevention and all that.

::lol: sounds like he knows what he s doing :thumb:

I like the rabbit response especially :love: you tell em Holly :love:

It is so silly to be surprised by the questions - these are questions that EVERY vet should be asking on first seeing a new patient - an ounce of prevention and all that.
Yes! I get the 'single rabbit' lecture every time :roll: I know, I know! It's getting there, OK?!

Back