• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Netherland Dwarf dribbling

emaimee

New Kit
Hello,
I recently bought an 11 week old Netherland dwarf cross, and she has started to dribble a lot, she's booked to have her first jabs soon, but should I take her to the vet sooner? If anyone has any ideas on what this could be I'd be very grateful.
Many thanks, emaimee

Hello, dribbling is often a sign of problems with a Rabbit's teeth. But as your Rabbit is only 11 weeks old this may not be the case, unless she has a severe congenital malocclusion. Personally I would take her to the Vet ASAP as dribbling is not normal and the sooner any problem is identified and treated the better the prognosis.

Is she sneezing at all ? Is she eating and drinking OK ?

No, she hasn't sneezed at all, and she's eating and drinking fine, she's had a little bit of a bad belly, not really bad, but I thought that might be because she's settling in, I only got her on Monday.

I'm just about to call the vet and speak to them, hopefully it's nothing, she's covered for the first two weeks anyway. Thank you for the help. :)

If she is also having gastrointestinal problems then an examination by a Vet today is definitely a good idea.

Good luck x

Hello,
I recently bought an 11 week old Netherland dwarf cross, and she has started to dribble a lot, she's booked to have her first jabs soon, but should I take her to the vet sooner? If anyone has any ideas on what this could be I'd be very grateful.
Many thanks, emaimee

Dribbling can often mean issues with a rabbit's teeth. Does she have a water bowl or bottle? Could any change here be contributing to her looking like she's dribbled?

Good luck at the vets. Best to get a once over x

Back