• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

There was this little 4 month old guinea pig.... I know this is in wrong section.

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
..................sat all alone, and had had no guinea pig company for over 2 months when his companion went off to a new home. He looked so depressed and withdrawn and as the result of this was constantly overlooked. The longer he was on his own, the worse he became.:cry::cry:

I looked at this sad little pig......and my heart melted. How could I leave him there? He may be overlooked for many more months, and his depression would no doubt get worse. A vicious circle all in all. A local primary school had wanted him, fortunately though they were persuaded against having him. The noise, confusion, being roughly handled, and the weekends where no-one would go and tend to his needs and the chance of being a solitary guinea pig for the rest of his life..........:cry::cry::cry: The pet shop owner has standards...yes he is a pet shop owner ( owned and run purely by him and his wife), but he does care to a certain degree......something that cannot be said about many/most pet shops theses days.

So I bought him. Yes, I did say BOUGHT. It goes against everything that I believe in, however I could not walk away from this beautiful guinea pig. He needed me, so my furry family has grown to five. Little piggy is a beautiful chestnut and black, smooth haired fella, and the name I shall call him....

Either Timid Timothy.....or Rupert. Which would you choose?

All being well he will be neutered when the time is right....and then we will go to Windwhistle Warren and find him a lady or two...to woo!!!:love:

And please, please do not turn this into an argument about buying from a pet shop. I saw a sad, lonely and depressed little animal needing love, care and understanding.................and I wanted to offer him that for the rest of his life.

My conscience........well that is up to me to deal with, but my heart is happy to have been able to help this little chap.

Once again I ask that you do not turn this thread into something other than appreciating that a good home has been offered to a very unhappy little animal.

Thank you.
Di.

* Numpty warning*........................I should have put this in stories and photos section.........not rabbit chat!!!!!!!:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:
..................sat all alone, and had had no guinea pig company for over 2 months when his companion went off to a new home. He looked so depressed and withdrawn and as the result of this was constantly overlooked. The longer he was on his own, the worse he became.:cry::cry:

I looked at this sad little pig......and my heart melted. How could I leave him there? He may be overlooked for many more months, and his depression would no doubt get worse. A vicious circle all in all. A local primary school had wanted him, fortunately though they were persuaded against having him. The noise, confusion, being roughly handled, and the weekends where no-one would go and tend to his needs and the chance of being a solitary guinea pig for the rest of his life..........:cry::cry::cry: The pet shop owner has standards...yes he is a pet shop owner ( owned and run purely by him and his wife), but he does care to a certain degree......something that cannot be said about many/most pet shops theses days.

So I bought him. Yes, I did say BOUGHT. It goes against everything that I believe in, however I could not walk away from this beautiful guinea pig. He needed me, so my furry family has grown to 5. Little piggy is a beautiful chestnut and black, smooth haired fella, and the name I shall call him....

Either Timid Timothy.....or Rupert. Which would you choose?

All being well he will be neutered when the time is right....and then we will go to Windwhistle Warren and find him a lady or two...to woo!!!:love:

And please, please do not turn this into an argument about buying from a pet shop. I saw a sad, lonely and depressed little animal needing love, care and understanding.................and I wanted to offer him that for the rest of his life.

My conscience........well that is up to me to deal with, but my heart is happy to have been able to help this little chap.

Once again I ask that you do not turn this thread into something other than appreciating that a good home has been offered to a very unhappy little animal.

Thank you.
Di.

I'd call him Rupert Bear cos once you have worked your magic on him he wont be timid any more, he'll be as brave as a Bear :D

The little piggy was not ' cheap ' either. The pet shop owner would rather charge more, in the hope that people might think twice before buying, instead of 'churning' them out cheap to make more money, faster and also de-valuing the life of such a wonderful little animal.

Piggy is now still tucked up in his carry case, stuffed full of hay, some dry food and a little cucumber and carrot. The door of the carry case has been taken off, and the carry case is in a hutch in my conservatory. Little one, when he feels like it can venture out of his comfort zone at his own pace. I won't even try to handle him for a few days, but hopefully now he can hear Pirate and Connie, my piggies, he might start to ' talk' again. He start to live life like a guinea pig should!!!!

How lovely of you :love: will you bond him with pirate and Connie? Can we see some photos of the little man once he is more confident??

How lovely of you :love: will you bond him with pirate and Connie? Can we see some photos of the little man once he is more confident??

Once he is neutered I may try, but not sure about two boars and one female.I don't think it would work......but you never know. Otherwise, once neutered, we will toddle of to Windwhistle and find a friend just for him. Hopefully he won't live on his own ever again. Photos will be taken once he feels more confident, for now he is one very sad and depressed little pig. Thank goodness I have a bountiful supply of patience.

The thought of a depressed little piggy is so sad :( hopefully he'll soon be back to a talkative excitable little fellow now he has a loving home! Looking forwards to photos when he's up for his first photo shoot!

I'd call him Rupert Bear cos once you have worked your magic on him he wont be timid any more, he'll be as brave as a Bear :D

Thanks Jane. Yeah I like the name Rupert....Bear. Perfect for the little fella. He is 4 months old so still quite small, especially compared with yo, ho, me hearties...Pirate my neutered 5 year old boar and Connie the cute sow.

So my furry family is.....Delilah and Frankie the buns, Pirate and Connie the piggies....and little Rupert Bear.

So ex has been replaced with a guinea pig!!! Yaaaay!!

Did the exact same thing with Amy; she was all alone for a few weeks, passed over, until I got her. And nobody can make me guilty for getting her.

Hope the little fella settles in well :love:

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes. Rupert Bear as he is now known, hasn't been brave enough to come out his carry case and into the hutch. I have left a little cucumber and carrot just outside the carrier, hoping that he will slowly feel a little more confident to explore his new surroundings. Everything at his pace. I am worried about him, but also don't want to give him anymore stress which in turn might lead him into a deeper depression. Perhaps tomorrow he will find some courage and strength and......curiosity to leave the carry case.

There are lots of baby piggies at Windwhistle at the moment, perhaps you could ask Alice to try him with a baby boy and then Rupert Bear won't need to be neutered.

There are lots of baby piggies at Windwhistle at the moment, perhaps you could ask Alice to try him with a baby boy and then Rupert Bear won't need to be neutered.

Hi Sal, I have seen the baby piggies and was hoping that this could be the case. A 4 month old boar and a baby boar can work well, as I have discovered for myself in the past..........ALICE!!!!

Waiting to hear back from Alice, re me visiting very soon with a car loaded up with carpet off cuts, newspapers, litter trays and sundry items. Sal.....dear Sal, could you perhaps ask Alice for me? Any little piggy, doesn't matter to me, just so long as Rupert Bear finds a friend. I think that he is so depressed that he would welcome any piggy to be his friend.

I did very similar with Mr Banoffee Pie. Went into PAH to get some food for the fur family and saw this piggy in the adoption section with a note saying his owner could no longer care for him and he must be kept alone. He looked so sad. I asked a member of staff why he had to be kept alone and he said that the piggy had fought with other pigs so his owner had given him to PAH for adoption. I asked if I could have a cuddle - and that was it:love:

I only had a smallish cage someone had given me as a spare for the rabbits but it was bigger than the one he was in at PAH. However he is agoraphobic and has never voluntarily left the cage - which now has no top, just the base in a large pen.

I always intended to get him a friend but rehoming a single male piggy proved quite difficult. Then an RU member wanted a home for her male piggy after his companion had died and I acquired Mr Chocolate Fudge Cake. It was instant love - no fighting at all - and they are still living harmoniously years later. MCFC has learned how to open the pen and so accesses the whole spare bedroom but there are no cables to hurt him. MBP still won't leave his base. He must now be very old for a piggy but he's had companionship for most of his life and I know I did the right thing adopting him.

(Sorry to hijack your thread Di:oops:)

Quick update re Rupert Bear......I haven't spotted him this morning, however there are plenty of little poops around his hutch so obviously he has dared to venture out during the night. I had better get busy rustling some food bags to encourage Connie and Pirate to be more vocal which in turn might encourage RB to join in with their piggy conversations.

When I get a friend/ friends for RB, I would like to give them names from the Rupert Bear stories. But I can't remember anymore names. Could anyone help please?

Ideally a couple of names for each gender.

Thanks. x

Last edited:
Back