• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on "rate" of weight gain.

Hi, I picked up two rabbits yesterday from lady desperate to rehome them per personal reasons. When I first held them I was a bit shocked at the bone I could feel compared to my rabbits at home and having done some research today have got a guestimate that they are about 1kg too light each.

Obviously they will be off to the vet this week for a general check and I was booking vaccs BUT will see if the vet thinks they are fit and healthy enough for those straight away. I'll also talk worming with him etc as I havn't had a rabbit so underweight before so a bit in the dark at the moment but covering all the bases I would with my other animals (teeth/worms/diet/etc).

They all have ab lib hay and have gotten through several handfulls in the 24 hours I've had them. As well as a full colliflower of leaves (leaves only which seemed to go down a treat!). Also 3 bowfuls of pallets and a variety of other veg that filed two bowls....safe to say they are far hungrier than my other rabbits who have sat back full to the brim to watch the show as they continue to stuff their faces ;)

I was told they were about 8 month old, I'd be inclined to agree with this judging on past rabbits I had from an early age.

The are a mixed breed, small sized but not a dwaf size.

Thats the background, now the question..what sort of weight gain should I be aiming for on a weekly basis? I don't want them gorging themselves (and granted I've not let a bowl or hay holder go empty in 24 hours as I felt bad they were so hungy).

I don't suggest in any way this is the previous owners fault, I got the impression she wasn't experienced in rabbits and wouldn't intentionally not be feeding them enough. They are birght, happy and clean eyes and bottomed so at the moment I do just think its a quantity aspect and also the lighter of the two does have to let the slightly larger eat first which I've put a stop to right away but having lots of different bowels around the hutch so there is no pecking order.

So any ideas on how much weight over what period would be great please, I'll keep everyone updated on what the outcome of the vet appointment is, especially as they can then meet the rest of the bunch and start having run of the house!!!!!!!

I'd be careful about being too generous, they should put weight on gradually with just unlimited hay and slightly above normal pellet ration. As they've been starved giving them too much rich food eg unlimited dry food might upset their stomachs even if it's hard to resist fattening them up :)

The rate of weight gain will vary, you might find it's slows sometimes and jumps others but as long as it's gradually upwards and their poop looks good don't worry too much. Hopefully the vet check will go well and it's just a case of they weren't getting enough. Do get a thorough teeth check as the lack of food could have effected that even if it wasn't the original cause of weight loss.

Thanks for the advice, I'm limited it more to hay and pallets as from today, much to their disgust, especially when I'm preparing dinner!
They have had clean bill of health on initial examination from the vet, he's happy to carry on feeding up without further tests for now. I'll weigh them in a week to see how much they've put on.
Ravinous is an understatement, they are making me feel very guitly everytime their bowels are empty ;)
When they came poos were very very tiny (like mouse dropping size each) and dry. Now they're only slightly smaller than my larger rex rabbits but looking a good "high hay diet" colour and texture. So all in all fantastic progress and they're settling in well showing their personalities and naughty sides ;)

It's great there poop has improved so much, that's a really good indication their guts are coping well with the change, I hope the weigh in shows progress to - I expect it will. I'm glad they got good results from the vet too, hopefully that means things look good long term too :)

Back