• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ideas for "disguising"meds

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can disguise 2mls of Metacam in food.Its quite a lot of liquid and my bun is one of the few who doesn't like Metacam.

So far weve tried:bread,shreddies,Ellas kitchen apple baby food,pellets,putting it on parsley and basil

We had initial success with bread but now he refuses all of the above.:roll:

Thanks

Are you using the Cat Metacam ? If so asking to have the Dog Metacam prescribed instead would mean you dont have to give such a large amount as the Dog Metacam is a stronger concentration of active ingredient. Then maybe you could administer it directly into his mouth via a syringe.

I will watch this thread with interest as I have this problem with Bentley. He finds the smell and taste of the dog Metacam completely repellent. I am usually OK at syringing meds on my own, even with an awkward patient, but Bentley is a conti and even with two of us administering it, we cannot get it into him.

I have tried hiding it in food, but he can smell it. We have even tried tablets as they have a different taste/smell, but he won't have them either. I haven't tried Ellas kitchen baby food, so will give that a go.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can disguise 2mls of Metacam in food.Its quite a lot of liquid and my bun is one of the few who doesn't like Metacam.

So far weve tried:bread,shreddies,Ellas kitchen apple baby food,pellets,putting it on parsley and basil

We had initial success with bread but now he refuses all of the above.:roll:

Thanks

That's an awful lot of Metacam! I bite the bullet and syringe it directly into their mouths, and then give a treat immediately afterwards ...

I will watch this thread with interest as I have this problem with Bentley. He finds the smell and taste of the dog Metacam completely repellent. I am usually OK at syringing meds on my own, even with an awkward patient, but Bentley is a conti and even with two of us administering it, we cannot get it into him.

I have tried hiding it in food, but he can smell it. We have even tried tablets as they have a different taste/smell, but he won't have them either. I haven't tried Ellas kitchen baby food, so will give that a go.

Metacam via SQ injection ?

Metacam via SQ injection ?

I asked about that, but Bentley will need it for arthritis so it's not possible because of skin reactions from long term use. He is doing OK for now, but it's a big worry for the future as I am eventually going to have to get it into him somehow.

I asked about that, but Bentley will need it for arthritis so it's not possible because of skin reactions from long term use. He is doing OK for now, but it's a big worry for the future as I am eventually going to have to get it into him somehow.

Oh , I didn't realise it was a longterm issue.

Are you using the Cat Metacam ? If so asking to have the Dog Metacam prescribed instead would mean you dont have to give such a large amount as the Dog Metacam is a stronger concentration of active ingredient. Then maybe you could administer it directly into his mouth via a syringe.

Im not sure Jane as its not in the original bottle but it must be the cat one.I will ask about that.

I've never tried it myself but I've always wondered whether squirting into the middle of a grape would work? Perhaps a small grape where they might nibble it all rather than having to nibble it into pieces, and that way perhaps more of it would go into them? Blueberries possibly?

I used to mix recovery food with ella's kitchen baby food to create a little lump of yummy stuff and that would hide it fairly well. Perhaps worth a try also :lol:?

Thankyou Yaretzi I will see if he will have it like that.

Hes been on lots of meds-sometimes 4 or 5 different ones at a time- for many months which ive been syringing into his mouth but I wanted to try this as hes only on Metacam for now and he is abit fed up with meds in general!

Back