• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How does a rabbit get twisted toe (front paw)?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
LeoTwistedToe.jpg

and is there a cure?

Has this just happened or is it a new rabbit? Never seen that in rabbits, in horses I've seen it as a birth defect.

If it has just happened I would definitely have them to the vet.. and I'd want it x-rayed unless the vet could be very reassuring about something else it could be other than a break.

They did. But their vet said the above is due to old age, in which I don't see what is age going to do w/ it, that's why I post it here. Has anyone else seen this before?

The only reason I can think of that is related to 'old age' that could cause that is arthritis which is not curable but treatable with pain relief, supplements and maybe even things like acupuncture!

I am not a vet, I don't know and that is pure speculation but I would not be happy with any vet that did no diagnostics and simply blamed age in an 8yr old rabbit who might be getting on a bit but isn't exactly ancient!

I'd go to a different vet!

damage to to joint from either degenerative problems or trauma (ie he caught it and broke it). OR and this is something you would probably have noticed in other ways, damage to the central nervous system - I find toe curl is sometimes associated with EC.

I'm reminded of Victoria Twinkle Toes, Liz's very special Bridge bunny at Rainbow Rabbits:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?376749-Our-beautiful-rex-lop-Victoria-Twinkle-Toes&highlight=victoria+twinkle+toes

She was not considered to be that old, and I think Liz said her feet were curved due to being deformed. :( However she still could binky on them. :love:

I keep thinking I've read somewhere that bunnies kept in cramped conditions can develop feet that look like this, but I can't recall where I saw it. :?

Lilly has one toe which is bent at a funny angle, I noticed it once when clipping claws, it wasn't like that the previous time I was clipping her claws though! She was/is young so I assume she caught it and broke it, but she never once limped with it so I don't think it ever caused her much pain and it definitely doesn't now it just makes it trickier for me to clip that claw because I have to get at a funny angle!

As it's recent then it could be a break, to maybe as others have said related to arthritis, either of those are likely to be uncomfortable though so might be best to have some pain relief, either long term if it is arthritis, or just short term if it is a break

Mine have all developed dislocated toes or bent nails. I'm sure it's caused by them hurting themselves when they are scared :(

Back