• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Merry and Pippin are heading to Animal Krackers!

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
We've had an interesting evening :shock:

My Mum got a call from my Uncle who said there was two rabbits living over the road in terrible conditions, they were going to be killed this evening if the owner didn't find new homes for them! So, we grabbed our carrier and set off out. We came back with these two!

Two lionheads, both male, they were living in an alleyway next to the previous owners house filled with bikes and scaffolding and general rubbish! No proper food or water or anything! :cry:

We got them home, they are very friendly and happy to be handled, their ears, nose, fur and eyes all look clear and well considering where they were. They are currently separated in my two medical cages with hay and water and blankets. I had to separate them as soon as they were put into a cage together they began to chase and hump on another, they are definitely boys!

Thing is now I need some help on what to do with these two! I can't keep them, I've not got any room, but I couldn't leave them where they were! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows and rescues who could take them, or any of you lovely people could offer a home or even temporary housing I would be grateful!

I'm sorry I didn't post this in rabbits in need, I tried doing that the other week and I think SOAD is missing? Help! :?

EDIT: I've nicknamed these two Merry (Agouti) and Pippin (Peach) just to refer to them by a name. I hope we find something soon, they are so lovely!

Last edited:
Sadly I'll think you'll find all rescues are full :( it's good you've taken them but you may have to care for them for a while before any spaces come up.
Bit of advice..if they have been outdoors then keep them outdoors as many rescues don't have indoor spaces so if these get used to being warm they won't be able to go back outside yet, and you may be stuck with them until the spring

Sadly I'll think you'll find all rescues are full :( it's good you've taken them but you may have to care for them for a while before any spaces come up.
Bit of advice..if they have been outdoors then keep them outdoors as many rescues don't have indoor spaces so if these get used to being warm they won't be able to go back outside yet, and you may be stuck with them until the spring

Unfortunately I don't feel like I've had much of a choice, the previous owner was about to ''neck them'' as he put it...

All I have is the two medical cages nothing else, that's why I'm saying this is urgent. Im hoping someone else with better housing or who is able to foster might come along. :(

Oh aren't they lovely! :) The second one looks just like my girlie, Pip. :love:
Thank you for taking them on and getting them away from that horrible person. :( Sending speedy "new and loving forever homes" vibes for them both. xxxx

Thank goodness you heard of their plight and acted swifly. I just don't understand people at all. Let's hope they find lovely homes soon.

didn't want to read and run but im afraid we are full and have urgent bunnies still waiting to come in

hope they find somewhere :(

I've nicknamed these two Merry and Pippin! I'm not getting attached but I figured I'd need a name to refer to them by! x

didn't want to read and run but im afraid we are full and have urgent bunnies still waiting to come in

hope they find somewhere :(

I understand they are so lovely I really hope they find somewhere. I know it was a little daft of me to take them in on a whim but I simply couldn't allow them to be killed! You couldn't take any more if I donated the two indoor cages as well? I know its a long shot and I know how busy rescues are, I hope we find something soon x

Try getting in touch with brysons.org.uk (Gateshead ) or blaydon bunny rescue or pawz for thought (Sunderland ) I don't know how full they are and have a feeling the first two are still full but worth a look?

If anyone knows any rescues that would be willing to help! This really is urgent! Thank you x

If someone could lend you a couple of outdoor hutch/runs then could you keep them for longer and try to get them on to a Rescue waiting list and/or try to rehome them yourself. Of course this would involve getting them both castrated and vaccinated ? You could try to do some sort of fund raiser to help with costs. Sadly cost always has to be involved when Rabbits are Rescued. One way or another it is usually inevitable.

Whilst the accommodation you could offer (loan of outdoor hutches/runs) may not be ideal it would only be a temporary measure.

If someone could lend you a couple of outdoor hutch/runs then could you keep them for longer and try to get them on to a Rescue waiting list and/or try to rehome them yourself. Of course this would involve getting them both castrated and vaccinated ? You could try to do some sort of fund raiser to help with costs. Sadly cost always has to be involved when Rabbits are Rescued. One way or another it is usually inevitable.

Whilst the accommodation you could offer (loan of outdoor hutches/runs) may not be ideal it would only be a temporary measure.

I guess so, this is a real nightmare, I couldn't bring myself to leave them where they were to be killed but I knew I would have little space for them. We really are stretched here. I don't know anyone I could borrow a run or hutch from. :( Nobody I know is very rabbity.

Try not to stress about it, Id accept the fact that they are going to be with you a while and be thankful they are still alive. You won't find a (reputable) rescue with space for a very long time, and these bunnies are no longer urgent as they aren't life or death, so it may be a plan to get them neutered and vaccinated and posting them all over the internet to rehome them yourself. Posters up in local vets etc can work too. Just ensure you do a home visit for them both and offer to bond with existing females in the home etc, to guarantee the best possible homes. Don't panic about them being in less than ideal housing, that's not priority at the mo. As long as it's temporary, it's fine. Well done for taking them.

I have a spare hutch.. I could take them in for you, obviously orderpends on location!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh bless them. So glad you have them safe, and hope you can find rescue spaces or a more permanent situation for them soon.

Thank you all, I really hope I can find something for them soon. Merry (agouti) is quite nervous but he's slowly coming around and Pippin (peach) is quite friendly and looks for you to give him food. Both are accepting of strokes but aren't to keen, I'm sure some love and care will turn that around.

The good news is they are both eating, drinking and pooping. I was worried that Pippin had not pooped for a long while after we got back, their poops are small and almost black but even this morning they are looking more formed and bigger. So hopefully more hay (which they probably never had, how their teeth are looking so well I'll never know, that's from what I can see anyway) will sort that out. They have had a tiny bit of pellet this morning to try and get their tummies used to it, the previous owners didn't even seem to be feeding them so what they had access to before this I just don't know...

I'm trying to get into touch with the RSPCA, the last time I contacted them over a rabbit I was suppoed to rescue (which later fell through) they offered me some vouchers to discount neutering, if I could get these two neutered before adopting them out I'd much prefer that. But I also would love to get them into a rescue, time will only tell I suppose. x

Aw man, that's awful: well done and good luck! I do have a currently unused outdoor hutch but it's supertiny (18" tall at the peak, 16" wide and 2' long, with under-run much the same size but 4' long) and the end mesh has been hacked off to permanently attach a run. I really don't have time to drop it off anywhere, either :S

Back