• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harness Training and getting the harness on?

missy5408

Young Bun
Hello,
I am in the process of harness and leash training my rabbit whom is 6 months old. I bought two harnesses both of which don't fit him both to big now i have to buy a cat or toy breed dog size. While trying to see of these two harnesses fit i found it extremely hard to get them on as he would figit and run away i tried doing while he was sitting laying down and i finally got it one while he was humping my leg :oops:. But any tips? And how do you guys teach your bunny to get use to the harness and leash? I imagine you first put on the harness and let them acclimate to it then introduce the leash and gently lead them. Any tips. thank you oh and any harness recommendations? U.S products only please. thank you, or look alikes.

Oh gosh, I have always believed leads for rabbits were a big no no. But I don't know your situation at all. Maybe someone can help with advice. Rabbits I'm sure would feel very scared with a lead as they are prey animals and it would also be unnatural for them in relation to how they move around. Do you have to use a lead and harness? :) don't mean to sound preachy, just my friendly opinion :)

Hi, I wouldn't recommend using a harness or lead, most rabbits don't like them as they are a prey animal, and he could get very frightened and maybe injure himself even too. I would recommend that he has permanent access to a large run of at least 8ftx4ft attached to a hutch or shed of at least 6ft x 2ft, or if he is an indoor rabbit something of the equivalent size or better still free range in a rabbit proofed room.

Hi, I wouldn't recommend using a harness or lead, most rabbits don't like them as they are a prey animal, and he could get very frightened and maybe injure himself even too. I would recommend that he has permanent access to a large run of at least 8ftx4ft attached to a hutch or shed of at least 6ft x 2ft, or if he is an indoor rabbit something of the equivalent size or better still free range in a rabbit proofed room.

This is the advice I'd give as well, rabbits aren't really suited to being "walked".

Very good advice.

I second this [emoji813]

I think it's a very rare bunny who actually likes being on a lead, so in the best interests of the bun I'd say it's best not to. If he's an indoor bun and you want to take him outside is there a way you can bunny proof your garden. A bunny running free, doing tons of binkies, is much more fun than a bun on a lead. :)

This is good advice, for a prey animal like a rabbit being taken to a new area can be very stressful. In the wild a rabbit will always be within dashing distance of a bolt hole just in case a predator pops up. If you take bunny out into the open in a place they don't know it can be very stressful as they don't have bolt holes so feel very very exposed. It also means if they do get freaked they can bolt in any direction and when they run out of lead the jolt can break their back :(

You may also find that even if they get used to the harness as soon as you introduce the lead they feel 'followed' and that scares them.

I have used harnesses without the lead when introducing buns to free range time in a bun proof garden, simply because whilst I knew they couldn't escape the harness made them easier to catch if they hid under buses or the like. I haven't tried using the lead part since I was a young child who didn't know better. Now I do I wouldn't do so again.

Hello,
I am in the process of harness and leash training my rabbit whom is 6 months old. I bought two harnesses both of which don't fit him both to big now i have to buy a cat or toy breed dog size. While trying to see of these two harnesses fit i found it extremely hard to get them on as he would figit and run away i tried doing while he was sitting laying down and i finally got it one while he was humping my leg :oops:. But any tips? And how do you guys teach your bunny to get use to the harness and leash? I imagine you first put on the harness and let them acclimate to it then introduce the leash and gently lead them. Any tips. thank you oh and any harness recommendations? U.S products only please. thank you, or look alikes.

He's telling you he doesn't like it - I second what the others have said, ditch the harness training and get a large run :thumb:

I've never had a rabbit dislike harnesses, I'd just put the harness on and they'd continue going about their business like it was nothing. I think harnesses are absolutely fine if the rabbit is ok with them, but unfortunately it sounds like your rabbit really doesn't like a harness so I wouldn't risk using one with him. The fact that he's fighting it and running away means that he could freak out while the harness is on and end up hurting himself, rabbits have such delicate skeletons.

Thank you all for your advice and i respect your views. He is a indoor rabbit, The only reason for the harness was to be able to make it easier to catch him in a vet situation and so that i could let my boyfriends mom see him, as she has a room down stairs and can't get up stairs to see him, and since picking him up is hard and holding him while going down stairs isn't safe as he jumps out of arms. I only wanted to let him have a better way to explore the house safely and to help at the vets office as i said holding him isn't easy. He was in a small cage after he was born and kept outside and i wanted to give him some "control" by letting him choose to go downstairs while i supervise him. But i totally understand your concerns and the reason for not liking the harness and lead. I agree it may be stressful and i think it would be best to make him a safe gated area to go down stairs to if he pleases. Thank you for all your advice and concerns. it means a
20150125_215506_zpsjtyx22hr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]lot.

He's beautiful. Could you train him to hop into a carrier - tempt him in with treats to carry him downstairs in that rather than trying to carry him in your arms. I know a lot of people use a carrier to transport buns between hutches and seperate runs rather than pick them up x

Back