• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help, rabbit pee...with pic

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Sorry I'm not clear on what the picture is showing, is it that her wee is yellow? Looks like there is also some calcium sediment in there. It's probably something she has eaten, could you list everything that she has eaten in the last 2 days?

Quite possibly calcium deposits as rabbits get rid of excess calcium when they pee. I'm guessing if she was spayed only 4 days ago then she won't have been moving around so much so it may have 'gathered' If she's passing it that's good but obviously keep a close eye on her for signs of straining or pain. Make sure she is drinking and serve any greens washed and with water still on them
Hopefully someone will be along to explain it much better than me. :)

Anyone have any idea what could cause this and what I should be doing? Oakley is a 6 month old dutch rabbit. She was spayed 4 days ago, although her pee has been like this once before, a couple of weeks ago... Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you. Uploaded pic to tumblr....
http://iwillmakebettermistakestomorrow.tumblr.com/post/109134746969

The photo shows a lot of calcium deposit/sludge. Whilst it is normal for a Rabbit to excrete excess calcium in their urine it is a warning sign if the urine dries as shown in your photo. Hopefully once your Rabbit is fully mobile again and also as long as she is having a good fluid intake the problem should not continue. However, I would want a Vet to have a feel of her bladder ASAP to make sure that there is no sign of a large build up of sludge. This can cause a lot of problems including cystitis and infections. It may also be the case that if she is still sore after her spay your Rabbit is not fully emptying her bladder each time she urinates. Thus allowing more calcium deposits to remain in the bladder.

So in short a Vet check today would be my advice. Good luck xx

Thanks for the advice guys. Her diet the last couple of days has been hay, timothy hay, pellets, dried fruit, some cucumber,wood sticks and arrange of mineral blocks. She has a vet check up Wednesday, I will talk to the vet then.

Thanks for the advice guys. Her diet the last couple of days has been hay, timothy hay, pellets, dried fruit, some cucumber,wood sticks and arrange of mineral blocks. She has a vet check up Wednesday, I will talk to the vet then.

I would remove the mineral blocks, they can exacerbate calcium problems. I'd also remove the dried fruit as this is a very high sugar food which can cause a lot of gastrointestinal problems. Is she drinking well ?

If that's the only patch of yellow/calcified wee you've seen from her then I wouldn't worry too much. Please take away the mineral blocks, as I couldn't understand what must have caused it (given the diet you mentioned) until you said she had that!

Make sure she is drinking fine, and obviously keep an eye open for any more occurrences.

Ahh the mineral blocks have probably caused it, as others have said I'd remove those, they aren't good for rabbits as they make the diet too high in calcium which can cause calcium deposits in their wee (like now) and over time this can develop into serious health problems.

Every now and again to see calcium deposits in their wee is fine if you know it's just something you've fed, but if you start to see it a lot it's a cause for concern.

Back