• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit fostering

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
Today OH and I were approved to be foster carers for rspca bunnies :)
So happy that I will be able to help lots of bunnies and educate people about caring for their rabbits correctly :)

Those of you that have fostered rabbits before do you have any advice please?

Don't keep them?

I have fostered kittens that needed to be hand fed, a very poorly guinea pig and a bunny who was struggling to recover from her spay. The kittens I had to give back as their mum had been found and she still had milk, the piggy made a full recovery and went back to rescue to be bonded and head off to her forever home... The bunny I kept :oops:

It is very very easy to get too attached and struggle to let fosters go, the kittens broke my heart although I was thrilled when sugarplum the piggy got her lovely new friend and home :love:

Today OH and I were approved to be foster carers for rspca bunnies :)
So happy that I will be able to help lots of bunnies and educate people about caring for their rabbits correctly :)

Those of you that have fostered rabbits before do you have any advice please?

How brilliant - what a wonderful thing it is you're doing :thumb:

I discuss with the R.S.P.C.A. branch how they would like me to 'advertise' the bunnies. Have you been on a home checking course yet?

If you're given free reign then you can advertise, home check and do all the rehoming yourselves - very satisfying seeing where they are going ..

Not done the home check course yet.

Will be able to advertise bunnies myself and match with forever owners when they view bunnies until then and educate on good rabbit care which is very important to me.

Not done the home check course yet.

Will be able to advertise bunnies myself and match with forever owners when they view bunnies until then and educate on good rabbit care which is very important to me.

Yes, really important to me too. I had leaflets etc from R.S.P.C.A. but I also obtained some from the Rabbit Welfare Association. I don't know if they still send them out? x

I foster for an rspca branch and another rescue and I haven't kept any of the animals apart from 1 just recently because she was un rehomable. Its lovely to see them all go to great homes. Make sure you are really well informed on rabbit care because when people come to view them they often ask loads of questions...ive had people at mine for 2 hours before! The rspca usually pay for food etc. Make sure the vet they use is not too far away as that can be annoying.

Back