• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any rabbit owners with pet dogs?

HungryBun

Young Bun
For the past few years I've been thinking about getting a dog. I'm apprehensive though as I have two house rabbits.
I'm terrified that having a dog could endanger the rabbits.

Anyone out there with experience in having both?
Are there any specific breeds that are particularly good with buns, or is it all about how the dog is raised?

Specifically does anyone have experience with rescue dogs? If I were to get dog I'd like to rescue rather than shop.
Would this be out of the question though, is it better to have a young puppy who can grow up with the rabbits?

Sorry about the bombardment guys, just don't want to but my babies at risk.

i have 2 dogs but my bunnies live outside so i suppose it's not really the same. that being said, both dogs are very used to the buns and once mumu leapt out of his hutch and landed at tinkadogs feet before running off she she just looked at him with confusion and wandered off :lol:

i think you'd be fine with either a rescue dog or a puppy. although how they are raised is very important i do still think some breed traits make a dog more of a 'risk' however you raise them, such as terriers (although there are always exceptions!) with a rescue dog, the rescue is likely to have a good idea of temperament and i'm sure you'd find a calm dog that could take to rabbits :) some dogs are surrendered due to no fault of their own such as owners moving house/break ups etc. so the rescue may have a full history and know what the dog is like with small furries :) tinka was a rescue and we know she came from a family with cats which is why we thought she would be suitable :D

i have 2 dogs but my bunnies live outside so i suppose it's not really the same. that being said, both dogs are very used to the buns and once mumu leapt out of his hutch and landed at tinkadogs feet before running off she she just looked at him with confusion and wandered off :lol:

i think you'd be fine with either a rescue dog or a puppy. although how they are raised is very important i do still think some breed traits make a dog more of a 'risk' however you raise them, such as terriers (although there are always exceptions!) with a rescue dog, the rescue is likely to have a good idea of temperament and i'm sure you'd find a calm dog that could take to rabbits :) some dogs are surrendered due to no fault of their own such as owners moving house/break ups etc. so the rescue may have a full history and know what the dog is like with small furries :) tinka was a rescue and we know she came from a family with cats which is why we thought she would be suitable :D

Thank you, that's really helpful :)
Good shout on asking the shelter for background information.

Yes, I have 3 rabbits and a dog :love:

Lilley was rather an unknown quantity as well when we got her as she was an adult rescue dog who we believe is a whippet/Staffy cross so has some sight hound in her and her favourite thing in the whole wide world is chasing balls. If she sees a squirrel on a walk she is gone as well :shock: her recall is good but she has to chase the squirrel for a bit before coming back :roll:

When we brought her home we put a stairgate up in the upstairs hall which stopped her access to the rooms which the bunnies live in. She jumped the gate on her first day, got told off and never did it again. She spent months just being able to smell them, then I started to let them into the hall so they could sniff her through the bars of the gate if they wanted to and she was incredibly calm.

We have now taken the stairgate down, if I go into Thor and Poppy's room I tell her to wait and she lies down in the doorway looking longingly at all the poops on the floor that she wants to eat :roll: :lol: If I go into Loki's room she is allowed in and she methodically searches the room for poops with Loki hopping around her sniffing and binkying :shock: I would never ever ever leave them unattended, and am always right there to grab her if she starts being too interested in him. If I am spending time with the buns the doors get shut with Lilley on the outside, same with clean outs, if my attention cannot be fully on the dog and my hand pretty much hovering over her collar she does not go in and she is fine with that, the bunnies don't care much either way :lol:

One thing I would say is that some buns are terrified of the smell of a dog. I knew my guys didn't mind as my parents collie had been to stay in the past and they weren't bothered. But one of my childhood rabbits was so affected by the smell of a dog even if I had just gone to a friends house who had a dog I would have to change my clothes before saying hello to him :shock: I would never have introduced a dog into the house whilst I still had him.

I have outdoor rabbits so not the same. However, out if my 3 dogs the whippets would kill the rabbits no question (one is a rescue whippet, one from puppy) Badger my miniature dachshund is fine now, (he is 11 years old) but when younger, he went for one of my guine pigs and would have killed it, had my husband been slower, straight in for the neck.

Not sure if this helps!

Yes, I have 3 rabbits and a dog :love:

Lilley was rather an unknown quantity as well when we got her as she was an adult rescue dog who we believe is a whippet/Staffy cross so has some sight hound in her and her favourite thing in the whole wide world is chasing balls. If she sees a squirrel on a walk she is gone as well :shock: her recall is good but she has to chase the squirrel for a bit before coming back :roll:

When we brought her home we put a stairgate up in the upstairs hall which stopped her access to the rooms which the bunnies live in. She jumped the gate on her first day, got told off and never did it again. She spent months just being able to smell them, then I started to let them into the hall so they could sniff her through the bars of the gate if they wanted to and she was incredibly calm.

We have now taken the stairgate down, if I go into Thor and Poppy's room I tell her to wait and she lies down in the doorway looking longingly at all the poops on the floor that she wants to eat :roll: :lol: If I go into Loki's room she is allowed in and she methodically searches the room for poops with Loki hopping around her sniffing and binkying :shock: I would never ever ever leave them unattended, and am always right there to grab her if she starts being too interested in him. If I am spending time with the buns the doors get shut with Lilley on the outside, same with clean outs, if my attention cannot be fully on the dog and my hand pretty much hovering over her collar she does not go in and she is fine with that, the bunnies don't care much either way :lol:

One thing I would say is that some buns are terrified of the smell of a dog. I knew my guys didn't mind as my parents collie had been to stay in the past and they weren't bothered. But one of my childhood rabbits was so affected by the smell of a dog even if I had just gone to a friends house who had a dog I would have to change my clothes before saying hello to him :shock: I would never have introduced a dog into the house whilst I still had him.

Aww adorable! Thanks for the info. My local shelter has a fostering scheme, I think that may be a good option. I know Gary is fine with dog smell but my youngest Penny as far as I know has never seen a dog before so I've no idea how she'd react to smells. Glad you told me about that I never thought about smells bothering the bunnies.

I have outdoor rabbits so not the same. However, out if my 3 dogs the whippets would kill the rabbits no question (one is a rescue whippet, one from puppy) Badger my miniature dachshund is fine now, (he is 11 years old) but when younger, he went for one of my guine pigs and would have killed it, had my husband been slower, straight in for the neck.

Not sure if this helps!

Crikey, scary stuff! Worth keeping in mind. Thanks for the info.

I have a trio of house bunnies and a lurcher. My buns live free range in my bedroom and the door is always shut. When they go out in the Summer for some fresh air, Larka (dog) has been taught to leave them be. She will sometimes bark at them but the buns are used to her now and ignore her. She is never allowed near them apart from when they are in their run. Having said that she has gotten into my room a few times when I've been cleaning and somebody has let her upstairs. Fortunately, she was interested in the buns but didn't seem to want to actually "kill" them. I would never trust her, though.

As long as you take care you will be fine. Shadowfax (one of my buns) was terrified of dogs when I got her but she learnt quickly that she is safe with me.

I have a trio of house bunnies and a lurcher. My buns live free range in my bedroom and the door is always shut. When they go out in the Summer for some fresh air, Larka (dog) has been taught to leave them be. She will sometimes bark at them but the buns are used to her now and ignore her. She is never allowed near them apart from when they are in their run. Having said that she has gotten into my room a few times when I've been cleaning and somebody has let her upstairs. Fortunately, she was interested in the buns but didn't seem to want to actually "kill" them. I would never trust her, though.

As long as you take care you will be fine. Shadowfax (one of my buns) was terrified of dogs when I got her but she learnt quickly that she is safe with me.

It's good to know that you have a bun that got over a fear of dogs. I think Penny (my youngest bun) would be nervous of having a dog around, shes my main worry.

Poppy was not interested in either of the rabbits I have had. She was a collie x staffy/lab mix I think, she was allowed into the kitchen where the buns lived at the time. Both rabbits have nipped at her feet and she has not been bothered by them in the slightest. She was from the RSPCA so didn't have her from a pup, she was just such a placid dog in every sense of the word.

Now Zena (border collie, I have had her from 9wks (now 7 months) and she is VERY interested in Lola. She used to sit at the baby gate looking into the kitchen at Lola and on occasion Lola has come up and the pair have shared a moment grooming :lol: Zena has been let into the kitchen on a leash, and the pair havr investigated each other but Lola started going for Zena rather aggressively. They still share a moment at the baby gate upstairs now Lola is moved but sometimes Lola still growls at the dog :lol:

You honestly just get to know your dog and know what they will be like :wave:

Poppy was not interested in either of the rabbits I have had. She was a collie x staffy/lab mix I think, she was allowed into the kitchen where the buns lived at the time. Both rabbits have nipped at her feet and she has not been bothered by them in the slightest. She was from the RSPCA so didn't have her from a pup, she was just such a placid dog in every sense of the word.

Now Zena (border collie, I have had her from 9wks (now 7 months) and she is VERY interested in Lola. She used to sit at the baby gate looking into the kitchen at Lola and on occasion Lola has come up and the pair have shared a moment grooming :lol: Zena has been let into the kitchen on a leash, and the pair havr investigated each other but Lola started going for Zena rather aggressively. They still share a moment at the baby gate upstairs now Lola is moved but sometimes Lola still growls at the dog :lol:

You honestly just get to know your dog and know what they will be like :wave:

Awww that is absolutely adorable!

I have a Lhasa apso cross. He was interested in the buns when I kept him (he was a stray) & my wildie was nervous (but is in captivity as injured by a dog). But, he now comes into the playhouse with me, & they pretty much ignore him as he is more interested than threatening. I wouldn't leave him unsupervised with them - but I don't worry any more

I have a Lhasa apso cross. He was interested in the buns when I kept him (he was a stray) & my wildie was nervous (but is in captivity as injured by a dog). But, he now comes into the playhouse with me, & they pretty much ignore him as he is more interested than threatening. I wouldn't leave him unsupervised with them - but I don't worry any more

Cool, thank you :) So take lots of time, and never leave the dog and buns unsupervised. Thanks for the info guys!

I have 4 rabbits and 2 dogs :) My dogs are both trained terriers - yes terriers, Parsons Russel's to be exact and they are absolutely fine with my 4 rabbits who free range the house and the garden. One of my dogs actually really appreciates the bunnies and will often watch the tv with one of the bunny's :lol: I would seriously consider the behavioral aspects and history of any rescue dog, you would need to know its full history and any emotional problems. You need to know your dog 100%. Be prepared to train them to be non-reactive, they may have 'prey drive' so you will need to iron that out, the training is repetitive, but the benefits are worth the effort.;)

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p348/magsmokwa29/Mobile Uploads/2015-01/IMAG0066_zpsrlhh8qbp.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p348/magsmokwa29/IMAG1569_1_zps1zbqddxs.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p348/magsmokwa29/IMAG1539_zpsqzcobbqj.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p348/magsmokwa29/IMAG1557_zpsnrixbopo.jpg

Last edited:
Over the years, 2 of my single house buns struck up the most amazing bond and friendship with one of the dogs. Benjamin (bunny) and Spring (collie cross) were inseperable. Always going everywhere and doing everything together. They shared the same water bowl and slept together in Spring's bed. They ate side by side, played together out in the garden, and would then lie down in the sun together side by side. If one went in to get a drink the other would also go.

One summer afternoon, Benjamin and Spring were playing in the garden. Spring would play chase Benjamin in a circle, and then Benjamin would put the brakes on, spin round and then take of after Spring. They played like this for some time, and then stretched out in the sun to sleep side by side.

A bit later, Spring woke up and went inside for a drink, but very strangely Benjamin didn't, and because we had never seen one go anywhere without the other, my husband and I went to check Benjamin, and discovered he had gone to the bridge, after a fab last play with his bestest friend ever, and then he left stretched out up against Spring. They had many happy years together, and although we were devastated at Benjamin's passing, there really wasn't a better way he could have spent his last day. Spring was a rescue dog with the most amazing, loving nature. I think as long as you get a dog with a really good temperament, they will be fine. In over 20yrs of house rabbits and dogs, haven't had a single bad experience. Never had to do any training with either dog who befriended Benjamin and then Roger. Just kept an eye on them. Both dogs super friendly lovely dogs, and Spring and Benjamin, and then Roger and Guiness (choc lab) struck up their friendships and adored each other.

Last edited:
Over the years, 2 of my single house buns struck up the most amazing bond and friendship with one of the dogs. Benjamin (bunny) and Spring (collie cross) were inseperable. Always going everywhere and doing everything together. They shared the same water bowl and slept together in Spring's bed. They ate side by side, played together out in the garden, and would then lie down in the sun together side by side. If one went in to get a drink the other would also go.

One summer afternoon, Benjamin and Spring were playing in the garden. Spring would play chase Benjamin in a circle, and then Benjamin would put the brakes on, spin round and then take of after Spring. They played likevthis for some time, and then stretched out in the sun to sleep side by side.

A bit later, Spring woke up and went inside for a drink, but very strangely Benjamin didn't, and because we had never seen one go anywhere without the other, my husband and I went to check Benjamin, and discovered he had gone to the bridge, after a fab last play with his bestest friend ever, and then he left stretched out up against Spring. They had many happy years together, and although we were devastated at Benjamin's passing, there really wadn't a better way he could have spent his last day. Spring was a rescue dog with the most amazing, loving nature. I think as long as you get a dognwith a really good temperament, they will be fine. In over 20yrd of house rabbits and dogs, haven't had a single bad experience.

Oh my oh my such a beautiful story :heart:

I have 4 rabbits and 2 dogs :) My dogs are both trained terriers - yes terriers, Parsons Russel's to be exact and they are absolutely fine with my 4 rabbits who free range the house and the garden. One of my dogs actually really appreciates the bunnies and will often watch the tv with one of the bunny's :lol: I would seriously consider the behavioral aspects and history of any rescue dog, you would need to know its full history and any emotional problems. You need to know your dog 100%. Be prepared to train them to be non-reactive, they may have 'prey drive' so you will need to iron that out, the training is repetitive, but the benefits are worth the effort.;)

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p348/magsmokwa29/Mobile Uploads/2015-01/IMAG0066_zpsrlhh8qbp.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p348/magsmokwa29/IMAG1569_1_zps1zbqddxs.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p348/magsmokwa29/IMAG1539_zpsqzcobbqj.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p348/magsmokwa29/IMAG1557_zpsnrixbopo.jpg

Really good advice, thank you. Those pictures are heart meltingly cute!

One summer afternoon, Benjamin and Spring were playing in the garden. Spring would play chase Benjamin in a circle, and then Benjamin would put the brakes on, spin round and then take of after Spring. They played like this for some time, and then stretched out in the sun to sleep side by side.

A bit later, Spring woke up and went inside for a drink, but very strangely Benjamin didn't, and because we had never seen one go anywhere without the other, my husband and I went to check Benjamin, and discovered he had gone to the bridge, after a fab last play with his bestest friend ever, and then he left stretched out up against Spring. They had many happy years together, and although we were devastated at Benjamin's passing, there really wasn't a better way he could have spent his last day. Spring was a rescue dog with the most amazing, loving nature. I think as long as you get a dog with a really good temperament, they will be fine. In over 20yrs of house rabbits and dogs, haven't had a single bad experience. Never had to do any training with either dog who befriended Benjamin and then Roger. Just kept an eye on them. Both dogs super friendly lovely dogs, and Spring and Benjamin, and then Roger and Guiness (choc lab) struck up their friendships and adored each other.

That's such a lovely story! Thank you so much for sharing.

I'm in a similar situation (my buns are outdoor though) and it's requiring lots of research etc. We have the two buns plus two cats (one very timid) and we've promised our daughter a dog at the end of the year. We've done loads of research into different breeds (looking at temperament mostly) and have finally settled on a Havanese. It's a breed with the perfect personality for our situation. We're also heading down to Crufts this year, to their "Discover Dogs" event, just to chat with some owners/handlers. Just to make sure we're going for the right breed.

In different circumstances (ie: no buns or cats) I would love to rescue a dog. However, I'm not prepared to gamble on the safety of my beloved animals with a rescue dog. I definately intend to rescue in the future though.

A website I found VERY useful in looking at breed traits etc is: http://www.animalplanet.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html - tons of useful information there, including breed health, excercise needs, temperament, plus an extra Dogs 101 video of each breed. :D

I think your cross breeds and tatty rescue dogs are the best bet to be honest. Most pedigrees have some inherent health issues exclusive to the breed, and buying a puppy doesn't guarantee a brilliant temperament. I'd rather see what the dog is like temperament wise, fully grown, albeit in rescue, not hope for the best with a puppy.

Most rescues work with the dogs over a period of time and even see how they interact with other dogs/animals, and you can see what the dog's temperament is like. A puppy is a totally hope for the best massive gamble.

Last edited:
Back