• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The cold and young rabbits

Rab-bit

Alpha Buck
Last week, when it was particularly cold here Kiki was hunched and fluffed up in the corner of her house. She didn't do the food dance but ate a small amount. I watched her for a bit and she pressed on one side so I gave her Metacam and Zantac, I locked her in a carrier with a towel, snuggle safe and hay, later that evening she was back to her cheeky self.
She is roughly 9 months old and had a litter last year. I got her from rescue as no one wanted her, only her babies (even though she is beautiful). So the age is a rough guess, as I believe they were all dumped in a box.
Anyway she always seems more fluffed up then Moley, Poppy and Py,(hair standing on ends, if you see what I mean, sat in the meatloaf position), when it is cold. I always give them plenty of bedding and snuggly places to go.

Do you think it's the cold causing her problems?
And please can I have some vibes??

Good vibes coming your way!
Bless her little heart. Have you spoke to your vet about this?

Most vets tend to give free advice if you give them a call.

If it happens again I would certainly take her to the vets in case of an underlying problem.In the meantime id just keep a close eye on her as you are doing.
Sending vibes her way.:)

Thank you everyone. Kiki seems to be doing much better again! I have just tucked them all in for the night and left all four of them munching hay.

I started working at a local vets this week so I will definitely speak to my boss about her, it's pretty rubbish as I am going away for 4 days at the weekend, and I have non rabbit savy sitters looking after them EEEK.. Hopefully I can get her sorted in the week. I did think that maybe there is an underlying problem as I can't see any common factor..

is she passing droppings as usual? is she with other bunnies? and not being bullied, do you give them plenty of extra bedding and cover during the colder spells aslast week with the snow was very bitter cold, hopefully vet can advise, but glad she seems abit better today

is she passing droppings as usual? is she with other bunnies? and not being bullied, do you give them plenty of extra bedding and cover during the colder spells aslast week with the snow was very bitter cold, hopefully vet can advise, but glad she seems abit better today

Hmmm.... Would she be acting this way if she was being bullied? She is with Py they have been bonded since September and it was an easy bond, but just lately I have had to tell him off for what I perceive to be "bullying". Yes she is pooping as normal, and I have been piling in the hay.

Relating to the "spring fever" thread, perhaps I have my answer for Py's behaviour. Went out to check on them and it was carnage in the shed. Both pairs being destrutive and chasing :shock: perhaps I will get Kiki a safe haven that only she fits in as she is smaller than Py..

Relating to the "spring fever" thread, perhaps I have my answer for Py's behaviour. Went out to check on them and it was carnage in the shed. Both pairs being destrutive and chasing :shock: perhaps I will get Kiki a safe haven that only she fits in as she is smaller than Py..

bless her yes defo sounds like spring fever

Back