• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Martins Farm hay (Notts)

Tracy

Warren Veteran
Does anyone know what their hay is like at the moment? I've not been there for well over a year.

Thanks in advance :wave:

It was alright in December, but it was pretty wet (had rained very hard and long the night before): I had to ditch pretty much the equivalent of a whole bale when it didn't dry in my garage. Was a lovely mix of stalks and strands though, Lopsy really likes it over the rest.

Thanks keletkezes & sazzy. I took a chance and have just driven down to fetch a couple of bales. It's really nice and smells lovely. I am going to go again tomorrow and fetch another two bales. :D

It's a shame that you had to throw away so much, keletkezes. There was a damp area on the top of one of my bales, so I bagged that section up. It was only the surface that was damp, the inner part of the bale was nice and dry.

I've been getting my hay from a farm in the next village to ours, but the last few bales that I've had didn't smell very pleasant. It is nice and stalky and not dusty, but it just doesn't have that nice 'hay' smell. I thought I'd give Martins Farm a try instead, glad I did now. :D

I usually go there and it is always good when I do. The last bale I got was from spring lane farm shop in lambley as I happened to notice that they sold hay when I went in to look at cake so I got one from them to try, it is also very nice hay and a plus is it is wrapped up in plastic already so no hay to pick out of my car afterwards!

It's a shame that you had to throw away so much, keletkezes. There was a damp area on the top of one of my bales, so I bagged that section up. It was only the surface that was damp, the inner part of the bale was nice and dry.
I didn't think it'd be too bad, and it wouldn't have been if I'd've aired it properly! Did it using the smell test: every time I smelled Quorn for a few weeks afterwards, all I could think of was mouldy hay! Live and learn XD

is it is wrapped up in plastic already so no hay to pick out of my car afterwards!
Did my run after I'd had the inside cleaned due to a repair: I'm an idiot XD Still bits in there now, on the ceiling!

Back