• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long do rabbit sulks last for?

DanAboutTown

Young Bun
First of all, please forgive me for attaching too many human-emotions to our rabbits...

Biscuit and Noodle are a year old now, and have always been outdoor bunnies, but the snow has caused us to worry about them outside, so we bought a (rather expensive) cover for the hutch. We put it on last night, and at first they seemed fine with it. I went to feed them this morning, to find Noodle sat outside in the corner of her run, not moving and refusing to go inside to eat! After hand feeding her a few pieces of food, and having all day to think about the problem, we thought it might be she doesn't like the cover. We've taken it off tonight, and she's venturing inside again, but clearly she is out of sorts, and Biscuit, in what I can only describe as a show of solidarity, seems to be behaving similarly stroppy. Thankfully, we've just fed them and they seem to be eating something now.

Does this sound like they are just being divas about the changes to their hutch, and if so, how long should we expect the cold shoulder treatment? We also put in an edible cottage for them to hide in, and have started using straw in their sleeping chamber, instead of just hay - could any of these be factors in their strange behaviour?

The factors could explain their strange behaviour, but also the smell of something new, ie the hutch cover, or even maybe the cover rustles around in the breeze which may leave explain a lot.

For whatever reason though, so long as they are eating, drinking, pooing, weeing, displaying normal bunny behaviour and not signs of aggression, I wouldn't be too concerned at this moment in time. Keep an eye on them, but I sense that things will be just fine.

I agree with Mrs B I think it may be the smell too. I know when I cleaned the wooden floor with a cleaner Doughnut wouldn't come out of her hutch and she was frightened. She would go to the edge but not step on it. When I've washed her blanket or vetbed with a bit of detergent she won't go in her castle which it rests on. Even now I've learnt that and I was her things just in hot water, it still takes her a couple of days to start to lie on them. I can't smell a difference but I think they can smell about 10 times stronger than us and I know their hearing is a lot better too, so what we can't smell or hear, they can.

I'm not sure they are being divas just unsure.

Thanks for your help; I've been to see them twice today and they seem back to their old selves - they must just not like the cover! Should I perservere in trying to introduce the cover, and hope they get used to it, or is this a sign they would be happier without it?

Thanks for your help; I've been to see them twice today and they seem back to their old selves - they must just not like the cover! Should I perservere in trying to introduce the cover, and hope they get used to it, or is this a sign they would be happier without it?

I would persevere for a little longer and hopefully they will get used to it...tell them it is in their best interests....keeping them dry and windproof!!!!

Back