• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about a spay.

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
Pony goes for her spay on Monday, she is temperamental and has issues and doesn't like being handled at all. She had a funny turn on Sunday so I phoned the vet. I basically found her under the chest of drawers laying awake but pretty unresponsive, she let me stroke her and touch her all over ( not like her at all) anyway I had to take the drawer out to lift her out. She wasn't pooping or eating her nuggets. And so I put her in her pen and called the vet. The vet said keep an eye on her overnight. Within a few hours she was fine again and her usual weirdo self.

Yesterday she seemed to go quiet again in her cardboard castle, again letting us stroke her from above, but she wouldn't come out for a while, then an hour later she was back to frightening my husband again darting about like a psycho.

This has made me a little nervous of the spay. She will be about 2 years old now. Plus the stress for her I am worried for her. Does she really need to be spayed? Will it help her? I meen she has had kits before, not with me, so is cancer the same risk? I do want to bond her eventually I am just concerned about her right now plus with her lack of trust for people and hating to be handled.

Should I neuter Teddy first and do Pony second? Once I have tried to soften her a little. Or are my efforts futile because of her hormones and I should go for it and spay her.

Just need a little advice please [emoji813]

Last edited:
Pony goes for her spay on Monday, she is temperamental and has issues and doesn't like being handled at all. She had a funny turn on Sunday so I phoned the vet. I basically found her under the chest of drawers laying awake but pretty unresponsive, she let me stroke her and touch her all over ( not like her at all) anyway I had to take the drawer out to lift her out. She wasn't pooping or eating her nuggets. And so I put her in her pen and called the vet. The vet said keep an eye on her overnight. Within a few hours she was fine again and her usual weirdo self.

Yesterday she seemed to go quiet again in her cardboard castle, again letting us stroke her from above, but she wouldn't come out for a while, then an hour later she was back to frightening my husband again darting about like a psycho.

This has made me a little nervous of the spay. She will be about 2 years old now. Plus the stress for her I am worried for her. Does she really need to be spayed? Will it help her? I meen she has had kits before, not with me, so is cancer the same risk? I do want to bond her eventually I am just concerned about her right now plus with her lack of trust for people and hating to be handled.

Should I neuter Teddy first and do Pony second? Once I have tried to soften her a little. Or are my efforts futile because of her hormones and I should go for it and spay her.

Just need a little advice please [emoji813]

Is she eating and pooing today?

Did the 'odd' behaviour just occur in recent days ?

Could she be pregnant ?
Hi Jane, Sunday was the first episode and Wednesday the second. No she can't be pregnant, she is in a pen of her own, but she will smell Teddy, he is downstairs, could it be a false phantom pregnancy?

Hi Jane, Sunday was the first episode and Wednesday the second. No she can't be pregnant, she is in a pen of her own, but she will smell Teddy, he is downstairs, could it be a false phantom pregnancy?

If you are 100% certain that she cannot be pregnant then the 'odd' behaviour may be due to her being able to smell an entire Buck. But it could be due to other issues unrelated to her hormonal status. I would discuss it all with the Vet prior to signing a 'Consent to Surgery' form. The Vet should carry out a thorough pre op' examination anyway, but the Vet may also suggest postponing the spay to see if these 'odd' episodes continue and if they do are they neurological in origin.

Having had previous litters gives no protection to a Doe as far as future uterine problems are concerned, so spaying is certainly the best option if the Doe is in over-all good health.

If you are 100% certain that she cannot be pregnant then the 'odd' behaviour may be due to her being able to smell an entire Buck. But it could be due to other issues unrelated to her hormonal status. I would discuss it all with the Vet prior to signing a 'Consent to Surgery' form. The Vet should carry out a thorough pre op' examination anyway, but the Vet may also suggest postponing the spay to see if these 'odd' episodes continue and if they do are they neurological in origin.

Having had previous litters gives no protection to a Doe as far as future uterine problems are concerned, so spaying is certainly the best option if the Doe is in over-all good health.
Yes I think so, I have called the vet and she is booked in Saturday for a check up and vaccinations. And I can chat with the vet then about her behaviour. I'm going to keep the surgical appointment and get Ted neutered first. So I can monitor Pony for a few more weeks to know for sure she is fit and well.

Yes I think so, I have called the vet and she is booked in Saturday for a check up and vaccinations. And I can chat with the vet then about her behaviour. I'm going to keep the surgical appointment and get Ted neutered first. So I can monitor Pony for a few more weeks to know for sure she is fit and well.

If she is being vaccinated on Saturday then she could not really be spayed for another 3 weeks. It takes 3 weeks for a full immune response to the vaccine to develop and personally I would not want a Rabbit to have a GA/surgery during that time.

If she is being vaccinated on Saturday then she could not really be spayed for another 3 weeks. It takes 3 weeks for a full immune response to the vaccine to develop and personally I would not want a Rabbit to have a GA/surgery during that time.
I did not know this? The vet never said anything about this and was going to do both together? Teddy was going to get natured and vaccinations at the same time now instead of Pony on Monday. What wouldn't the vet know this I must phone in the morning to question it. Thanks for making me aware :)

Some Vets are happy to do both neuter and vaccs at the same time but I think it is too much for a rabbit to undergo at the same time.

I did not know this? The vet never said anything about this and was going to do both together? Teddy was going to get natured and vaccinations at the same time now instead of Pony on Monday. What wouldn't the vet know this I must phone in the morning to question it. Thanks for making me aware :)

A lot of vets do the vaccinations and neuter at the same time without a problem. They would assess the health and age of the rabbit and make a decision. It's up to you if you would prefer the two things to be separate, which I must say, I would

Okay so today i took Eponia for her vet check and her vaccinations and i was pleasantly surprised. I questioned the vet and she said exactly as you guys have said that she would wait 3 weeks until spaying her after her vaccinations. She was a lovely vet, very rabbit aware. She also health checked my little lady and said that she seems fit and healthy and to let her settle into being a house bun, for a few more weeks. She also seemed very positive that Pony would soften up and her temperament would calm down, she seemed very hopeful that my little crazy doe would improve with the spay and with being bonded (providing pony and teddy like each other - which i know they do). I feel so much more positive for my little lady now, for her health and for her life and well being in general. So she had her vaccinations, and she will get her spay in 3 weeks. Very happy :)

Teddy however will get his neuter Monday and the vet said when he gets his post op check up 3 days later she might vaccinate him then. So she appeared to view the spay as more a stress that a neuter. Is is different for males? Could a male be vaccinated 3 days after a neuter providing in good health?

Thank you all again for such good advice i mean i had no idea until Jane said. It turns out it was just the receptionist making appointments that didn't understand, where as the vet was very careful and knowledgeable.

Okay so today i took Eponia for her vet check and her vaccinations and i was pleasantly surprised. I questioned the vet and she said exactly as you guys have said that she would wait 3 weeks until spaying her after her vaccinations. She was a lovely vet, very rabbit aware. She also health checked my little lady and said that she seems fit and healthy and to let her settle into being a house bun, for a few more weeks. She also seemed very positive that Pony would soften up and her temperament would calm down, she seemed very hopeful that my little crazy doe would improve with the spay and with being bonded (providing pony and teddy like each other - which i know they do). I feel so much more positive for my little lady now, for her health and for her life and well being in general. So she had her vaccinations, and she will get her spay in 3 weeks. Very happy :)

Teddy however will get his neuter Monday and the vet said when he gets his post op check up 3 days later she might vaccinate him then. So she appeared to view the spay as more a stress that a neuter. Is is different for males? Could a male be vaccinated 3 days after a neuter providing in good health?

Thank you all again for such good advice i mean i had no idea until Jane said. It turns out it was just the receptionist making appointments that didn't understand, where as the vet was very careful and knowledgeable.

Some vets do this, and if you would prefer to wait longer then do say to your vet. I'm sure they wouldn't mind you erring on the side of caution (I would). A spay is a far more serious operation than a male neuter.

Good luck for your little lady's spay in three weeks time

Well when she gets her spay it will be about 4 or 5 weeks since her vac so I think this will be fine. Plus she seems in optimal health :)
Thank you [emoji813] can't wait to bond her to Ted, getting closer to that day now :)

That's my little lady away for her spay this morning (((((biting fingernails)))))

I'm so nervous I hope it will go well :(

That's my little lady away for her spay this morning (((((biting fingernails)))))

I'm so nervous I hope it will go well :(

Millions of vibes being sent for her. We all stress when one of our Rabbits has to have a GA. Hopefully she will soon be home and on the road to a good recovery xx

Millions of vibes being sent for her. We all stress when one of our Rabbits has to have a GA. Hopefully she will soon be home and on the road to a good recovery xx
Oh I hope so, she has come so far in the last 5 weeks, she has really softened up and has such a sweet personality. And I can't wait to bond her to Teddy. They are so in love already. Fingers crossed all goes well, Il clean her pen out and make it all cosy for her coming home.

Back