• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hot water bottle for outdoor buns?

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
Just wondering if I can use a hot water bottle with a cover on it, wrapped in a blanket in an outdoor hutch?

I wouldn't, if they did get to the bottle and bit it they would end up flooding the cage with hot water which could burn them initially and then make them very very cold and wet.

You can buy snugglesafes which are plastic discs that are nibble proof and microwaveable, or I have also heard of people heating bricks in the oven and wrapping them in towels, apparently they keep their heat quite well although I think snugglesafes are easier!

They are about £20 in p@h or you can buy them online from pet websites or amazon for roughly £15.

Well I just read a review so I think I will have to budget for one they sound fabulous!

Last edited:
I bought a snuggle pad P@H gave me it for £15 because it was out of its packet. Just popped it in the hutch. It's quite small, only one bun can sit on it but hopfully they will take turns or snuggle up to it maybe. We also bought silver insulation padding so that's a job for tomorrow!

i bought mmy snugglesafe on blackfriday deals for £11! i don't know if my buns use it but it makes me feel better that they have it. i make sure there lots of places to snuggle into as well.

It should raise the ambient temperature around it a few degree, so they don't necessarily have to be sat right on top for it to be a benefit. It's also worth considering how you can make the most of the heat, something simple like a cover over most of the hutch door at night can mean the heat stays inside where you want it :)

It should raise the ambient temperature around it a few degree, so they don't necessarily have to be sat right on top for it to be a benefit. It's also worth considering how you can make the most of the heat, something simple like a cover over most of the hutch door at night can mean the heat stays inside where you want it :)
Oh right, well that's good to know. We bought insulation so we are going to put that on the hutch, the silver stuff. It's a hard one because they don't use their sleeping compartment they use it as a lavatory, and any straw I give them they use it for a toilet and soil it heavily. They pretty much poo on everything. They tend to sit on a platform huddled together so the snuggle safe Is perfect really.

That should still help keep the temperature inside the hutch warmer than outside :)

Back