• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best substitute for honey?

I want something to bind a new treat recipe I'm working on but the only thing I can find online that's been suggested is honey. Isn't honey bad for rabbits though? I was thinking of Agave Syrup/Nectar because I know that's like a low sugar substitute so does anyone know if this is ok for rabbits too? If not, any suggestions? I wanted to use water but it doesn't hold, it needs to be something sticky. Thank you :D

Puréed fruit such as banana or strawberry works quite well.

When I make homemade treats I mush up a banana if I have one that's just gone a bit too ripe for me or I use a pouch of Ella's kitchen fruit purée baby food which is kinda cheating :lol:

Agave etc are just as sweet as honey, so I'd never use them for bunnies. Not sure what to suggest...

Puréed fruit such as banana or strawberry works quite well.

When I make homemade treats I mush up a banana if I have one that's just gone a bit too ripe for me or I use a pouch of Ella's kitchen fruit purée baby food which is kinda cheating :lol:

Yeah I used mashed banana before in another recipe and it worked well so I might just use it for all the recipes :)

Have you tried looking at the ingredients in rabbit pellets maybe? I know Burgess uses black treacle/molasses (wouldn't have thought that's great for rabbits though?)

Yeah black treacle doesn't sound good either :s I'll have a look and see what the ones I've got use. Thanks, I hadn't thought of that :)

I've pureed a mix of kale, parsley, frozen blueberry and banana before to use as a binder. Worked very well and bun never objected to the strange combination! Are those biscuits in your signature ones you made yourself? They look super tasty, I'd be tempted to try those myself! :lol: nom nom nom :lol:

I've pureed a mix of kale, parsley, frozen blueberry and banana before to use as a binder. Worked very well and bun never objected to the strange combination! Are those biscuits in your signature ones you made yourself? They look super tasty, I'd be tempted to try those myself! :lol: nom nom nom :lol:

Yes I think I'm just going to use bananas for the binder :) They work best out of all the things I've tried and they taste nice too so you can't lose!
Yupp they're Mint Pea Munchies and Carrot and Banana Bites ^_^ I'm working on new flavours all the time, just let me know if you want to try any :)

Hi friend!

Are you planning on selling these treats?

If so you need to check with your EU regulatory contact about whatever you're planning to use as a binder.
Sugar content is super important when you start selling treats and you need to be able to justify your ingredients and their quantities to Trading Standards during inspections.

Hope this helps. I'm going to be posting a blog that goes more in depth about running a rabbit business soon.
Just be very careful about your ingredients, and make sure you're fully legal and have a watertight business plan of action before you attempt to trade.

Best of luck :) x

Back