• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating cardboard

idolstar

Young Bun
Hi,

Am having this issue with link. She not wanting to eat her food but she will eating cardboard:? Still moving about a bit and she poo last night
I have seen her eat bit's of hay as well. I could take her to my vet but she's away this week and i don't trust the other vet as well

Am wondering if she could have a blockage in your tummy with eating all that cardboard

Is there anything i could give her at home to try and help with the blockage

Hello

I am afraid it is absolutely essential that your Rabbit is seen by a Vet today. You also need to remove the cardboard from her immediately so that she cannot eat any more. Going off 'normal' food but eating cardboard can be a symptom of either Dental problems and/or a gastro-intestinal problem involving a part of the GI tract called the Cecum. Left untreated this can become extremely serious.

There is no home treatment you can give without consulting a Vet so I would advise you to do so without delay. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Hi,

I have her booked in for tomorrow. It seems really odd as she still moving about shown no pain eating bits of hay and licking at the water. There has been little black poos

Back