• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and tablets

bunslave

Mama Doe
Two of my buns have been prescribed marbocyl tablets. Any tips please?
Currently crushing with spoons and mixing with apple juice for the syringe.
There is a reason for using tabs at the moment :)

Can mods move please x

Last edited:
My Wally was on Marbocyl tablets. I used to crush the tablet, mix with a little water and syringe it in. To crush the tablet I put it in a little lid and used the end of a teaspoon handle, like a mini pestle and mortar. The teaspoon had a rounded handle with a flat end. I did the same for Daisy's Tramadol tablets, although they were much harder to crush.

Wally started off with injectible Marbocyl, but the injections can sometimes sting, due to the carrier substance I think. It did sting Wally and it upset him. He couldn't tolerate any upset or stress as it triggered mouth breathing, so he was put on the tablet form instead.

Have you tried just offering them by hand or plonking on top of his pellets? Barney is on these at the moment and loves them, he thinks they're a treat. They are meat flavour I think but it doesn't stop him!

Failing that, I've never found a med that I can't get down him if I mix it in Critical Care or Critical Care with a dash of banana puree/baby food. It disguises even strong flavours and it's easy to just mix in the meds, the only downside is cost. The cheapest I've found it is on VetUK.

Last edited:
Back