• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is the average lifespan of a rabbit getting longer?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
My old memo said 8 yr.

But just the other day, someone said due to better diet and products like sunshine factor, it's more like 11 to 12 yr. Did the average lifespan of rabbit got improve from diet factor in the recent few years?

I think it probably is. Slowly but surely I think people are getting more educated about the needs of rabbits and so are improving their diet, physical activity and environment and this is bound to have a knock on effect. Two of ours lived to 10 yrs and 11yrs and the vet said he's definitely seeing more older rabbits than he used to. I'm hoping that we can help the four we have now to live long healthy, happy lives, too :)

I think I got the av. lifespan no. of 8 when I first hang out here, so about 2007 or so. But I do believe Sunshine factor, which is a sub-set of Harrison diet can improve their internal organs. But I wonder what else is done that overall rabbit lifespan are longer

Sorry, Happy Hopping, I misunderstood, I didn't realise that Sunshine Factor is an actual product and I'm not familiar with the Harrison diet. But I'm sure anything that promotes the better care of pet rabbits is going to have a positive effect, I don't know about these specific products though.

doesn't matter, even w/o Sunshine factor, there are some out there who believe their av. lifespan has moved up, as to how, I would like to know why

One of my books about pet rabbits (probably printed 1980s latest) told me rabbits went senile by age 6 :)

Back