• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WW: Spring Fever!

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
Thought it would be a good idea to get information together on spring fever for old and new members alike who have either not heard of it, know a bit about it or know more and may even have experienced it so we can all be prepared in case it does cause any of us trouble!

My knowledge on it is that although rabbits can and do mate all year around, in the wild the males and females mainly come together in Spring time which will maximise the survival of their offspring, and the remnants of this trait in our domestics is spring fever! Where as the days get longer they start humping each other more, established hierarchies can go a bit haywire, they get more boisterous, can show more aggression towards each other, can get more territorial and ultimately it can ruin a bond between bunnies

HOWEVER from being on here for a few Springs I know that is not a likely final outcome, but it has happened, it is a just a slightly higher risk time of year for a bond, and even if they don't fall out they still may have more minor scuffles than usual, and with their extra energy they may get more destructive than usual too, so it would be useful to have some tactics!

I've suggested some topics below to get started! Would be great to hear others' knowledge, experiences and stories on the topic :)

- What is spring fever? (add to my limited knowledge base above!)
- Have you ever taken precautions for spring fever?
- How have your bunnies experienced spring fever in the past?
- If you have had spring fever fall outs in the past, did you manage to successfully rebond? Did you wait until after spring?
- What to do if a fight does break out? When do you intervene, when is a small scuffle enough to separate a pair/group?
- Should bonding be approached differently in spring? If you've bonded in spring before did you find it particularly difficult?
- Any other stories or information you think would be useful to know about spring fever or in tackling the issues caused by spring fever!

I've not experienced spring fever (yet!) it must have skipped us last year :lol: but I shall keep my eyes peeled for it this year. I'm not having six bunnies falling out and have to get another 6 to pair them all up again! :shock: *faints*

Munch is already chasing Tilly for bunny love with all the noises :) He doesn't get very far as she's bigger and faster than him so he just kind of slides off :lol:

Amy was going crazy when she was in her cage last night; chewing up her tray and trying to chew the sheets (I ran out of newspaper...), rearranging furniture and binkying all over the place. Which means I barely got any sleep last night. Which was fun.

I can't really add to the 'spring fever information' side of the thread, this is my Buns first spring and I've heard of, but never experienced SF. I do research alot.. rabbit behavior and animal behavior in general, so 'Spring Fever' does make A Lot Of Sense..

Already, my Buns behavior is changing...my Forest Bun is becoming more and more dominant with his lovebun Ferni, and with me, and he is usually a total gentleman.. i was thinking it could be cos he's bored, with it being winter with less outdoor ranging time.. but now I'm thinking it could be a combination of the 2 aspects of :

..'Cabin Fever' and 'Spring Fever' ( with the increasing innate bunny desire to go out and reproduce, even when neutered ).... and my Ferni seems to be getting all romantic, tail wiggly, asking for grooms, initiating play, with both of us, and I've never seen her like this before.

All fine so far... but am a bit concerned that 'Forest could be building up to something' , at the moment I'm seeing how it goes, and accepting that they know spring is coming, and all will be well.. but I don't know X

Ah yes...Sheldon seems to be a bit frustrated at the moment and is humping his long suffering wife alot more than usual.
I had to explain to him last night that we are still in the middle of winter. .got a bitten ankle for my efforts💜

LMAO XD

So what I'm hearing is: I should be bonding during this period as it'll be the worst and if they can make it through this, they'll make it through anything?

i would say no, bonding is probably more difficult as the bunnies will be more wound up - similar to if they are unneutered (although not as bad!)

elmo humps fern all the time but does seem to do so more often in springtime....she just runs away though so as long as there's lots of places for her to go and hide they seem to be ok :D i also think it shows just how important having an attached run is as this essentially allows bunnies to separate themselves :)

Oh so that's why Blackavar was humping Cherry on my bed the other day! He hadn't done it for months so it took me by surprise :lol:

On your bed of all places :lol:

Mine have so far been well behaved!

Does anyone know whether indoor rabbits are less affected by spring fever than outdoor bunnies? I would assume they don't get it so bad as although it's a response to lengthening daylight hours and they have artificial lighting, plus the warming days, and they've got a temperature controlled environment! I don't know though!

Anyone who has/had sets of both seen any difference before?

Spenser is a bachelor, and has never tried to hump anything. Even before he was neutered, he showed no signs whatsoever of being hormonal. In the last couple of years I have noticed that he circles and honks for food more, but not sure if this is just greediness or a form of spring fever.

So I've just been directed to this post from one I posted this evening, my two are house buns, have been bonded for 5 months and this evening Hugo humped Parker a few times. First time I've ever see him do it so was quite taken aback! Seems like Hugo is getting a little frisky....!

They seem to be fine together so I hope it is just some limited humping and doesn't develop into anything more....I guess it's just a case of keeping an eye on them....

Did have. Mini panic that it was something to do with their bond breaking so fingers crossed it is just a little spring fever as this thread suggests :love:

I spoke too soon.... Lady Katherine and Jacquetta have started with the spring fever this evening! They've never humped before, but now one is chasing the other and humping away :shock: calm down girls, it's only January!

Saying that, it was such a lovely day today, I felt a lot better in myself too. Maybe it's contagious! :shock::lol:

Thanks everyone this is really useful! I had no idea and never even heard of spring fever but is already adding up.

Both my baby buns have never peed outside of their pens, but over the last couple of days, they have been peeing & pooing absoluty everywhere! (Guessing this is marking territory?!) Both are running round their pens even more so and chewing their bars which again is a first!

My male isn't due to be done until the 3rd of feb, will both bunnies be okay till then, and not get too annoyed? As both are only 14 weeks at the moment and have their pens next too each other?

On your bed of all places :lol:

Mine have so far been well behaved!

Does anyone know whether indoor rabbits are less affected by spring fever than outdoor bunnies? I would assume they don't get it so bad as although it's a response to lengthening daylight hours and they have artificial lighting, plus the warming days, and they've got a temperature controlled environment! I don't know though!

Anyone who has/had sets of both seen any difference before?

We have yet to go through a proper Spring fever. I do know in summer she was up and about at the strike of dawn and now that seems to have got later, concerning time clocks.

Last edited:
Lola is humping Donny, but only slightly more than usual :roll: Good job he is so laid back! He just carries on munching hay :lol:

Questions:
Is Spring Fever is due to the lengthening of the days and buns getting more light any time after Winter Solstice?
Does using a blue "day" light change anything?

Back