• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunnies bowl was frozen this morning :(

lucy24

Mama Doe
so it was -5 this morning and i went to see the buns. i took the blankets off and removed the shutters to find the bowl frozen solid! :( they scoffed the pellets and had a fuss so seem fine but i am worried. what else can i do? i warmed the bowl and put in some lukewarm water which bluebell went to straight away...clearly thirsty :(

the tarp on the hutch was also frozen solid-water must have got in- so might remove that.

HELP

Warm water freezes quicker so try to use cold water when you fill the bowl at night.

You could place a snugglesafe undernearth the bowl.

Alternatively on amazon you can buy electric heated bowls if you have a power source.

You can use a drop of medicinal glycerine to help prevent freezing but I'd be wary of this if you have tummy buns.

There are a few things you can do to stop it happening again, putting a Ping pong ball into the water is meant to break up surface tension and as it moves around when the buns drink is meant to make it harder for ice to form.

Another option is to buy a snugglesafe and place it under the water bowl at night which will keep the bowl warm and stop the ice from forming.

As an added measure popping a bottle on the cage in an insulated jacket may just give them another option if the bowl freezes again.

Pingpong balls definitely work: we used to do this on the birdbath (or 'font' as my Mum calls it) at home. Took a while for the birds to get used to the ball but it worked well for a while, unless it got really cold or was really still (no wind) overnight.

My bunnies bowl was frozen this morning too :( Then when I emptied and poured more water in it turn to slush as I was pouring it!! Its sooo cold!! I have have used a snuggle safe under it but I might try insulating the bowl a bit tonight with some newspaper and blanket to see if that helps!! Ill let you know in the morning!! My buns do have a thermal covered bottle aswell but they ignore it... xx

Last edited:
Thermal bottle covers are good but they don't protect the spout so for anyone who uses bottles you should get into the habit of checking the water actually comes out even if the water itself isn't frozen.

Back