• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

????

Not just you, I spent forever trying to choose names for my rabbits. Eventually I settled on Petra and Cleo. I first thought of Petra when reading Ender's Game, but I couldn't think of another name that 'went' with it. Then one day in my Ancient History class the topic of Cleopatra came up, and I thought Cleo sounded like a good name and it also went nicely with Petra, so that's how I settled on names. Are there any movie/book characters you like, or historical figures even? I found those good sources of inspiration rather than just trying to pick a name.

'Amy' was originally going to be a placeholder name, when I thought of something better, named after Amy Pond from Doctor Who. I considered Robin, but it didn't suit her. Her middle name is Sofia, though.

Yep, I am terrible thinking up names. I once said to a friend it would be much easier to number them - Come in No 78! :lol::lol: But funnily enough with some bunnies a perfect name just comes.

No it's the other way around for me, as soon as I see an animal for the first time a name pops into my head and nothing else seems to suit him/her anymore :lol: So I end up keeping it! All my pets have got their names like that. The only one I struggled with was one of my Syrian hamsters, but on my way home from the pet shop (I know, I know) there was an empty Pepsi bottle in the car....so I just looked at him and thought "Yeah. Pepsi." :lol:

I got lucky, our buns were named by the RSPCA where we got them from and the names just fitted them so perfectly we decided not to change them! :D

Our rats on the other hand . . . that usually takes some thought. Most of them are named after superheros or TV characters. :)

My 3 current bunnies had already been named by the rescues. Dandy and Beano from RSPCA, and Boots from BARC. We liked the names so kept them :thumb:

My boys have been called little Gray and little black (as I did not have a Scooby do what to call them :roll:). Then idea's Smokey and badger then Smokey and bandit then I really liked the name's Fred and George :love:which nobody else likes so they tend to still get called what ever who's talking to them likes best e.g. my mum calls them Smokey and bandit my niece calls the little Gray and little black where I call them Fred and George. So I am still undecided what to call them and I have had them since they were 8 week's old and they will be one in February:oops:

Ours nearly all have names to do with plants - and mainly traditional ones. We do sometimes keep the name a rescue arrived with - and have a Charlie and a Fudge (and until recently Lola) but we do try and fit the plant name with the bunny - so Princess Peaches is a delicate and definitely indoors lionhead lop, Pippin, Harebell and Peasgood are our wild wildies, Gooseberry is all white but was a delicate tinge of yellow when we first got him (like old fashioned yellow gooseberries), Mistletoe is white, and all the 'babies' (now hulking great 3.5 kilo lops!) were all named with traditional plant names to go with each other: Woodruff, Woodbine, Eglantine, Columbine, Parsley Piert, and Meadowsweet. Dandelion is a big old fashioned sort of bun - a Frenchlop. etc etc.

We did however get Quince and Damson the wrong way round - Damson ended up quick and wild, whilst Quince was slower and more domesticy. Thing was in the first week we couldnt tell one from the other and think we accidentally swapped the names we had given them at first sight then - but it stayed that way round for their 9 years with us . . .

Last edited:
Ludo's name came to me before I got him...I just had a thought 'Oh, I must go and get Ludo' so went and got him... and the name stuck.

It depends. When I first got Slipper, my ex bought him for me to cheer me up the day after my soul bunny died. I didn't want another rabbit and couldn't think of any names, so as he's a lion head x lop, he was very fluffy and looked like a slipper so that was his nickname until he had a better one. It stuck!

Blueberry, I named for his blue eyes and he came with his brother who is no longer with us, but he was black and white like a badger so they were Badger & Blueberry.

Blackavar was named after my favourite character in Watership Down and he's a black rabbit so it was appropriate.

Jacquetta and Lady Katherine are named after two of my favourite historical people as I read a lot of historical fiction.

Cherry was from a rescue and was originally called Cowslip. She's bonded with Blackavar and for some reason I just couldn't get my head around Cowslip so she was Cherry, because I like the name, I love cherry blossom and black cherries are divine!

I've found that I can almost always name my pets no problem. If I'm struggling to name a pet, like if I know I'm getting one and I'm thinking of a name in advance and it's just not clicking, it's because I end up not getting that pet for whatever reason.

I find it so hard to choose names for our pets because they have to feel "right", but, in fact, most of the time our rabbit's names have been chosen by other members of the family or come with names already.
Our first four rabbits were named by our children who were quite young at the time - Berry, just because my daughter liked it, and Silver Cloud chosen by my son because it was a cloudy day when we brought them home , but Grey Cloud sounded a bit dreary!
Sunny, also chosen by my son - and funnily enough it was a sunny day when we brought her home :)
Cliff, chosen by my daughter and named after the father in her first Sylvanian rabbit family, Cliff Babblebrook :)
Snowy was a rescue rabbit already named and the name stayed because it is so apt (if not original) - a big white French Lop who we got in the winter of 2013.
Olive was again already named by the rescue - I would have been happy to change her name, but the rest of my family liked it, so it stayed.
Lola is named after Lola Bunny from the Space Jam film, she's a brown dwarf lop who is very sweet and bouncy when she runs around.

Back