• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

stethoscope, bunny scales and blood glucose

weedug

Mama Doe
After Bailey's tummy problems I really wanted to get a bit more organised. Can anyone tell me what scales would be good to get? I've found normal bathroom scales aren't much good.

Also, is it easy enough to use a stethoscope to listen to gut sounds, and to take a blood glucose reading myself at home (daughter is diabetic so have old meters I could use). I just wanted to use the stethoscope to keep a daily eye on any buns tummy who has been to the vet.

I was thinking of asking at my vet if they would train me on how to use the stethoscope and how to get a blood glucose reading. I knew Bailey was unwell when I took him in, but it turned out he had no gut sounds :(. If I had known I would have got him in earlier (For anyone that doesn't know, Bailey had a gut problem and was seen regularly at the vet. He was still eating and pooping, so I assumed that he wasn't so ill. Perhaps had I known he would still be here today).

I think some people use baby scales. I bought some digital parcel scales from aldi that I use, I weigh a box first and then put bun in the box :thumb: I don't know about the stethoscope/blood glucose monitor I'm afraid.

You clearly are a very attentive and caring bunny owner, and Bailey was very lucky to have you. :love: Please don't beat yourself up with 'what ifs', you did everything you could for him xx

Most scales will say on them the accuracy and after that just something you can fit a rabbit on. Some of the postage scales have a separate read out so it's easier to see with a carrier on top :)

Thank you both. I hadn't thought of using parcel scales.

And thank you for the kind words Zoobec x

I just use some kitchen scales with a readout at the front. I got this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-Aqua...id=1421699413&sr=8-33&keywords=kitchen+scales and it was about £12 from argos at the time. I like that it has a separate weighing platform than the scales, so I can position their box on top without covering up the display :lol: I use a clear ikea samla box and just put them in it with the lid on for a few secs while I weigh them :lol: It's rectangular and weighted at the bottom so feels stable.

Back