• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter trays and litter training.

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
I've put this in rabit chat because it's a mix of behaviour and housing, I apologise if this is in the wrong section.

As some will know I have a trio of buns. I have two storage boxes in their room as litter trays. Unfortunately neither of these are big enough to comfortably fit all three of them. I am finding that despite having two trays they fill with hay only after a few days because they won't eat the bits they pee on. I have looked everywhere for larger trays but can't find any. I just wondered what people used and where you got them from? Ideally I want to use a cage base but I don't want to have to buy a cage just to use the base. :roll:

Another issue I'm having atm is the poo! I thought this might have been because Radagast (rat) moved into my room but it was going on before that, Radagast just seems to have made it worse. They are pooing everywhere! I sweep up about 5-6 times a day and still the place is a mess. Do you think it's because the trays aren't big enough or is it something else? I thought it would calm down after a while but it's just getting worse. :evil: Bunny poo doesn't bother me but I it's rather annoying when I can't go to the toilet at night without standing on bunny poo. :roll: :lol:

Do you think this is anything I can "fix" if it isn't the size of the trays?

With my lot this was fixed by having cage bases as the trays. Before I set them out one of them in particular dug everything out of the cage and covered the floor with it, as well as pooing everywhere. They're not 100% now but 98% or so in the trays. Try looking on gumtree for cages, there are usually quite a few that are a good size for litter trays especially if you have a couple side by side. Several of those that would be too small as a cage (1m x 60cm ish) are also foldable so the top can be easily stored somewhere. They are usually about £25-£40 ish on there.

With my lot this was fixed by having cage bases as the trays. Before I set them out one of them in particular dug everything out of the cage and covered the floor with it, as well as pooing everywhere. They're not 100% now but 98% or so in the trays. Try looking on gumtree for cages, there are usually quite a few that are a good size for litter trays especially if you have a couple side by side. Several of those that would be too small as a cage (1m x 60cm ish) are also foldable so the top can be easily stored somewhere. They are usually about £25-£40 ish on there.

I have a Jenny with the babies in atm but that seems to be a littler too big...I would certainly not be able to wash it in the bath like I do with theirs. I will have a browse but I can't afford to spend a lot of a tray this week so it might be a few weeks before getting a cage base. I wish shops sold larger square storage boxes! I had a brilliant litter tray that was square so they could all fit in but I stupidly broke it by mistake and it wasn't safe for them to use anymore. How hard can it be to find a bloody decent litter tray for a decent price?! :evil: :lol:

Have you tried the larger 42L underbed boxes? I have a couple which all three of mine can get in comfortably. I have more of the normal 30L ones though so I tend to use those as they fit the space where I put them better.

Is it the long low underbed storage boxes you use? I use one of those from Asda and it used to be just big enough when I had the quad, although they were/are small bunnies. You might find a cheap cage on preloved/gumtree/eBay to use as a litter tray. do you have carpet? As I find they always seem to poo/wee more on carpet/rugs than on laminate/vinyl floor. Other than that I can't think of anything else atm.

Elena. That would be ideal actually. I've just measured my trays and they are only about 53cm long. These were the largest ones I could find that weren't about 2ft deep! I have a bun with arthritis so these were no good. I wonder if Wilkos sells those larger ones? I think I will have to go and have a look in wilkos and Asda and see if they are selling them. Last time I went in they just had the same size boxes I have. :(

Zoobec - I have a rug over laminate flooring and yeh, they do like pooing on it, especially under the bed. However, I have to have that down because of Fiver's sore hocks. The rug is covered in towels and vet beds and as many soft things as poss. Also Xena refuses to walk on the laminate flooring. :lol: :roll:

Edit: Would you believe there are absolutely no suitable cages for sale on any of the selling sites for my area. :roll: I find it so difficult getting anything for the animals around here. I was trying to find a rat cage a few weeks ago and there were none...in the end the lady I adopted the rats from found one for me near her and I picked it up when I picked the babies up...but I'm not going all the way to Barnsley for a bloody litter tray! :lol:

Last edited:
I've found the best place for boxes is Tesco's online but not sure if they do those ones :(

For the pooping on rugs/carpet, I have noticed that Boots doesn't poo on the flat weave rugs, only on ones with pile, his personal favourite rug to use as a toilet is my daughters fake sheepskin one :roll: getting that clean is a nightmare :lol:

i bought bigger underbed storage boxes from ikea - i can't remember what size they were but definitely big enough for 3 bunnies :D if there isn't one near you, i think they deliver?

i bought bigger underbed storage boxes from ikea - i can't remember what size they were but definitely big enough for 3 bunnies :D if there isn't one near you, i think they deliver?

Hmm. I'd need them to deliver because I don't even know where my nearest Ikea is! :lol: I've had a look at Wilkos and Asda's online page and neither have boxes bigger than mine so it might have to be an Ikea job. Nothings ever easy around here! :lol:

Zoobec- :lol: They are ******* aren't they? The rug/carpet I have isn't long pile but they prefer to poo on the"newer" piece that is under the bed. They've also started pulling out the pile recently. :roll: I'm such a bad bunny Mam...I've just ran out of hay and my Hay for Pets order says it might deliver today or it might be tomorrow so I might have to pop to the shops for hay anyway. :roll:

Is something like this any bigger http://www.garden4less.co.uk/g48g-g...CFKGrEx_yIDfZ8NxJfLTu6cfh8xSSzktuIRoCyuDw_wcB I think you can get them at b & q and gardening places. Good for arthritic bunnies too :thumb:

That's something I was going to get actually but I thought they'd be likely to make more of a mess with them. :lol: At least with the boxes they can't dig the litter out or flick megazorb everywhere. Hay is another matter...no matter how big the boxes are there's constantly hay ALL OVER the place. Hay is my enemy. :lol: I'm going to go for a walk up the parade of shops near me and see if there's anything suitable. I'm not hopeful, though. I even looked in B&Q at the storage boxes and they had nothing suitable either. Why don't people make boxes suitable for bunnies?! :lol:

That's something I was going to get actually but I thought they'd be likely to make more of a mess with them. :lol: At least with the boxes they can't dig the litter out or flick megazorb everywhere. Hay is another matter...no matter how big the boxes are there's constantly hay ALL OVER the place. Hay is my enemy. :lol: I'm going to go for a walk up the parade of shops near me and see if there's anything suitable. I'm not hopeful, though. I even looked in B&Q at the storage boxes and they had nothing suitable either. Why don't people make boxes suitable for bunnies?! :lol:
:lol: how about buying a box that is too tall and cutting it down, or cutting a hole in it. Some people have done that before. I think I'd probably end up making a mess of it though :oops::lol:

Back