• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The start of molar issues?! :(

Emma H

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone

I was hoping for a bit of advice. I took Bailey to the vets for his booster, so obviously took Belle too, and whilst I was there I asked the vet to give Belle a health check (her booster isn’t due till August). It was a locum vet on but he seemed quite knowledgeable and after looking into Belle’s mouth he said that her cheek teeth look to be growing outwards into her cheek and she will require a dental. I have had Belle since August 2013 but I rescued her so I am unsure of her age, and the vet has never mentioned this before – she went under anaesthetic in May to have an operation on her ear (Bailey and her had a big fight, touch wood, with some help from Fat Fluffs, they were re-bonded and have been okay since) so you’d have thought they might have noticed that then? And when she had her booster and check a few months after that?

She eats copious amount of hay, they have a small amount of Burgess pellets and low calcium veg – hay definitely makes up the most part of her diet – she is constantly munching on Timothy & Rye from Hay for Pets, so I don’t think it is diet related?

I was wondering if anyone had any advice I could go to the vets armed with when I take her for her pre-op consultation? Does it sound like she is always going to need to have these procedures? I haven't noticed any sort of change in her at all, so could it be that this is the early stages?

I am going to insist that Bailey goes to the vets with her and they stay in the same cage when she comes around, they are French Lops so will require a big dog cage, if that isn’t possible I will try a different vets. Should their bond remain okay if I do this?

I'm so worried about it :(

xxxxxx

Sometimes molar problems can develop in older Rabbits who may never have had any issues before and who have had a good hay based diet. It might be a good idea to ask the Vet about taking some skull Xrays when the Dental is done to enable the Vet to assess what her tooth roots are like and also to establish if there are any bone abnormalities in her jaw.

Do you know any of her history before you obtained her ?

It may not be the case that Belle will need numerous Dentals in the future. But it will be important for her teeth to be checked by a Vet on a regular basis.

Keeping the Bunnies together when Belle has her treatment should help keep their bond established. I hope all goes well for her xx

Hi Everyone

I was hoping for a bit of advice. I took Bailey to the vets for his booster, so obviously took Belle too, and whilst I was there I asked the vet to give Belle a health check (her booster isn’t due till August). It was a locum vet on but he seemed quite knowledgeable and after looking into Belle’s mouth he said that her cheek teeth look to be growing outwards into her cheek and she will require a dental. I have had Belle since August 2013 but I rescued her so I am unsure of her age, and the vet has never mentioned this before – she went under anaesthetic in May to have an operation on her ear (Bailey and her had a big fight, touch wood, with some help from Fat Fluffs, they were re-bonded and have been okay since) so you’d have thought they might have noticed that then? And when she had her booster and check a few months after that?

She eats copious amount of hay, they have a small amount of Burgess pellets and low calcium veg – hay definitely makes up the most part of her diet – she is constantly munching on Timothy & Rye from Hay for Pets, so I don’t think it is diet related?

I was wondering if anyone had any advice I could go to the vets armed with when I take her for her pre-op consultation? Does it sound like she is always going to need to have these procedures? I haven't noticed any sort of change in her at all, so could it be that this is the early stages?

I am going to insist that Bailey goes to the vets with her and they stay in the same cage when she comes around, they are French Lops so will require a big dog cage, if that isn’t possible I will try a different vets. Should their bond remain okay if I do this?

I'm so worried about it :(

xxxxxx

Sorry to hear about Belle's molars, but please don't worry too much about it.

It sounds like you are giving her the ideal diet. In some rabbits, however, the molars don't grow straight despite the very best of diets and there's nothing can be done to encourage the teeth to grow 'straight' (i.e. opposite one another to wear down efficiently). During a dental however, the vet can actually burr the molars down almost to gum level, and whilst that sounds extreme, it's the one thing that may actually help them to grow straight in future. No guarantee though.

There is also no guarantee that she will need constant dentals throughout her life. With an excellent diet and the dental you can set her on the right track and take things one at a time.

As for the bond .. Sometimes I take the companion rabbit and sometimes not, depending on factors concerning my particular rabbits. If it's possible to take them then do, but you won't necessarily break their bond if you don't.

Good luck xx

Thank you so much Jane and Max [emoji2]

I will definitely ask for X-Rays to be taken then, and for them to file down as far down to the gum as possible!!!

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Belle's history [emoji26]
When I took her in for her first vet appointment when I got her, the vet didn't think she was an old bun? She said you could tell a little from their teeth. I really do hope it's in its early stages and she isn't suffering [emoji20]

I am waiting for the vets to email me (the locum vet couldn't do anything else like give me a price or anything) to give me a price and book us in.

I will give you an update if that's okay, it makes me feel a bit better to share [emoji4]

xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will definitely ask for X-Rays to be taken then, and for them to file down as far down to the gum as possible!!!

When I took her in for her first vet appointment when I got her, the vet didn't think she was an old bun? She said you could tell a little from their teeth. I really do hope it's in its early stages and she isn't suffering [emoji20]

I am waiting for the vets to email me (the locum vet couldn't do anything else like give me a price or anything) to give me a price and book us in.

I will give you an update if that's okay, it makes me feel a bit better to share [emoji4]

xxxx

Of course !! Bunny worries are always more manageable if we can 'talk' to other Bunny carers about them xx

xxxx

If you didn't give us an update, we would badger you until we had one ;):lol:

Hi Jayne and Max [emoji2]

Belle is booked in for Wednesday and Bailey is going to go along with her. I'm so worried about her not waking up [emoji26]

The vets they are registered at quoted me £151 for the procedure, which I thought sounded quite steep, so I contacted my vet who I take my Puppy to (the reason the buns don't go there normally is because Bailey got neutered for free at the P@H vet cse I adopted him from there), and he has said it will only be around £50! Can you believe the difference!!!!

I asked about the x-Rays and he said it would be about another £65 and to let him to a visual examination (as he can tell a lot from that) to save my money for now and if he thinks an x-ray is needed we can potentially have that done if she needs another dental? He said if it is disease she is going to need regular dentals anyway?

Hope it all goes okay!!!! I'm a bit worried that their bond will be affected too [emoji20]

xxxxxx

Back