• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Those of you with older bunnies...

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
...roughly what age did you notice them "slowing down" a little, i.e. showing their age?

I know I'm paranoid but I seem to notice that Apache sleeps a lot more than Skye. She's 5ish. He's at least 7 1/2, maybe older.

I think weight and experience has made a difference to my rabbits. they are 7 or 8, I've lost track. I think eight and a half but something made me doubt it. anyway, they are less likely to jump out of their compounds (puppy pen panels) and more likely to come to me for help back in, than they used to be. none of them sleeps a lot.

My lad is approx 9 and has slowed down the past 18 months x he also had a rough time with a Gut Statis problem last April so although he is relatively well now I think that had slowed him down - he is also pretty well completely blind now but does potter about quite well for an old guy and I'm hoping he makes it to Spring so he can go out any enjoy the spring grass.

He sleeps pretty well most of the day now but potters about morning and evening and anytime he heard the fenugreek treat bag rattle lol

With Flora, she was around 8 when she began to show signs of age. She lived to 10.5. Neither Pea nor Pod showed any signs of old age but both died aged just shy of 8. I think much depends on general health in the first instance. Flora was a very robust bunny and arthritis eventually slowed her down long before other age related illness did.

That's it, I've found conclusive evidence that four bunnehs are seven and a half, not eight and a half. When did I turn into my grandma? She was always claiming to be a year older than she really was. :evil::lol:

I find that older bunnies (my eldest is 12 this year) don't exactly slow down, but they do less 'bursts' of the energetic stuff like going upstairs or leaping around the garden. They certainly come to life when they hear the food tin rattling :lol:

Fiver hasn't really slowed down much tbh. He is about 7 1/2 and has pretty bad arthritis in his lower spine/pelvis area. He has regular acupuncture and pain relief twice daily but you would never think he was an "older" bun. The only thing is that he doesn't have his little "mad moments" much anymore; binkying and racing around like a loon, however he is always first out of my room when the door is left open and generally half way down the stairs before I even notice he's gone! :lol:

Mine are older, and they are all gammy bunnies, with arthritis, but they haven't yet 'slowed down'. I've only ever seen them slow when they get to the end of an illness.

Dusk, in his infinite wisdom, with his dodgy legs, very arthritic spine, and breathing issues through it was a marvellous idea to try to jump out of his enclosure today (which he couldn't do, even if his prime), managed to smack his face on the edge and fall on his side. His spirit is still intact, even if his body is not willing.

Back