• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peg teeth UD/Post 5

I adopted Jack last July, he had no incisors but a very small peg tooth. Since then the peg tooth has not caused any issues however another peg tooth has appeared next to it and is coming in on a strange angle. It's in no way hurting him as it's just coming through the gum but I'm wondering if these should be removed? Is it a big operation for them? Or should they be burred down?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :wave:

You would need to get the Vet to take a look to decide if extraction may be the best course of action. If it is the the op is relatively straight forward and it alleviates the need for continuous burring/trimming of the Incisors. The Vet would also need to take Xrays to assess the tooth roots.

Incisorless Rabbits usually cope well. They often need their Veg grated/sliced thinly and some are only able to manage certain types of hay. So what hay to feed can be trial and error at first. They tend to manage hard feed OK. They also need assistance with grooming, especially during a moult.

I adopted Jack last July, he had no incisors but a very small peg tooth. Since then the peg tooth has not caused any issues however another peg tooth has appeared next to it and is coming in on a strange angle. It's in no way hurting him as it's just coming through the gum but I'm wondering if these should be removed? Is it a big operation for them? Or should they be burred down?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :wave:

I love rabbits with no incisors :)

As for the little peg tooth or teeth you see, very often they break off of their own accord. My vet will never do an op just to remove these as usually they cause no bother to the rabbit at all. Neither should they need burring down for the same reason.

If you are still concerned, give your vet a ring. xx

Jack had his 2 peg teeth removed today.

One was loose so came out with no persuasion the other one which I was concerned about had spiralling roots :shock: Glad they've gone at least now they shouldn't cause any issues from now on :)

One was loose so came out with no persuasion the other one which I was concerned about had spiralling roots :shock: Glad they've gone at least now they shouldn't cause any issues from now on :)

Glad he got on OK and I hope that he will soon be back to his normal self xx

This is great news! Glad to here all went well for Jack :thumb:

Back