• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trago Mills "Rabbit" Hutches UPDATE GOT A REPLY P13

Den

Mama Doe
On my viist to Cornwall just before Christmas, I took my grandson to Trago Liskeard to see Father Christmas. Whilst in the store I saw the Caraway "rabbit" hutch for sale.

On looking online, I see they have 2 other "rabbit" hutches as well http://www.trago.co.uk/hutches-388-c.asp

I have since contacted them twice via their website link and once by post, politely informing them that the hutches they have for sale for rabbits are not big enough as the only accommodation for a rabbit and have given them the link to the RWAF in particular the "Hutch is not enough" campaign.

I was polite and made suggestions rather than just ranting so I'm pretty miffed to say the least that I havent had an acknowledgement of any of my communications.:censored::censored:

Last edited:
I know Trago Mills very well and have bought a lot of goods over the years when holidaying down there. I'm surprised they havent responded back to you, it is rude. Shame on them, but well done you for making them aware of the inadequate sized hutches.

They are tiny! Well done for putting them in their place and making them aware of their inadequate hutches. It's so sad to think that a poor bunny may be tapped in one of these currently...:cry:

To get a response perhaps it would be better to make a written complaint. Most companies have a set procedure in place to deal with complaints.

To get a response perhaps it would be better to make a written complaint. Most companies have a set procedure in place to deal with complaints.
Emails are usually deemed written complaints, but just using a web-form often isn't... Worth reading their T&Cs to see what's what! Good luck!

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since last contact.

A formal complaint will be made. Was hoping not to have to but it's a matter of principle now.

I saw an absolutely TINY hutch for sale in my local garden centre the other day. I couldnt find anyone to talk to about it but Ill be emailing them with a link to a Hutch is Not Enough and kindly ask them to either take it off sale, or market it as an additional hidey hut only not a main residence... I hope you get a good response from Trago Mills. Terrible that they havent responded so far...x

They are phasing out the small hutches in the Newton Abbot store. Its worth complaining. I sent a email a while back about the animals in the garden park and they got changed from muesli to nuggets.

I finally have a reply. I have copied and pasted below

Thank you for your letter dated 7th January 2015. I must apologise for the lateness of my response, due to family reasons I have been out of the office for some time.

I have had a look at the website you suggested looking at, and also looked at the Animal Warfare Acts which we are Governed by, and also looked at other respected websites such as the RSCPA.

It is clear that the Government and RSPCA do not specify specific minimum sizes of hutch, so we will not be drawn into changing our current ranges.

However, for 2015, Trago will be stocking 1 new model of rabbit hutch/run at our Newton Abbot store ‘ RWAF’ Winner of Hutch and Run of the Year, supplied by Liberta, if it proves a successful seller, it will be quickly put in our remaining stores. This order was placed in December 2015, delivery soon.

Reference the Caraway Item you mention in your letter- The signage in store and internet will shortly read “Liberta Caraway Rabbit Run”, thank you for your comments (albeit emotive).

Finally, I have attached a picture today of what a competitor of ours (Home Bargains) is selling today. If you colloquially refer to the caraway as a “prison” then I’m sure you will be horrified by what you see.

Many thanks

Steve Buxton (Group Buyer)

My response is below

I am a little disappointed that you will continue to promote your range as 'rabbit hutches ' but I am pleased you will be stocking the new larger accommodation too.

I know some stores have removed the word rabbit from their smaller hutch signage.

Us rabbit welfare fanatics will have to keep pressure on the government to regulate this!

Kind Regards

And his very prompt response

Hello Denise – thank you for your response.

Feel free to contact me in a few months time to ask how the sales of the new larger hutch go, I hope they sell well because they retail for a lot more than the budget rabbit hutches.

Our website wording on click and collect has already changed in the past hour on the Carraway

Many Thanks, and please keep me updated with any developments within the ‘Rabbit World’

I still cant believe that the original hutch/run I saw that led to this was ever advertised as a rabbit hutch and run. Im still disappointed that although the reference to rabbit hutch has been removed, it is still shown as a rabbit run, but its still a small step in the right direction.

And now I'm about to contact Home Bargains.

Ah, Home Bargains... Name says it all, really XD I love it in there, but then I know what I'm looking for!

The 'if you think this is bad, then take a look at this one>>>' is one of my pet hates. It's reminiscent of a 'minor' criminal who is caught saying 'why don't you go catching real criminals'. What other people is doing is entirely irrelevant. His reply was so sarcastic I would be inclined to escalate within the company, he is being both incorrect and rude, IMO.

Even the fact that he's referring to Government and RSPCA sizes is to some extent irrelevant - the country's largest rabbit charity does have specific size recommendations (based on the RSPCA recommendations of 3 hops) and you'd expect any responsible retailer to check that out.

The 'if you think this is bad, then take a look at this one>>>' is one of my pet hates. It's reminiscent of a 'minor' criminal who is caught saying 'why don't you go catching real criminals'.

Completely agree, can't justify your own behaviour so divert attention to someone else.

I can't see any hutches on the home bargains site but it might be an instore thing.

Just read this thread and have to say I agree with santa about that comment he made it is like he's saying well I'm nowhere near as bad as him it just doesn't make me look favourably on him anyway.

Oh my God I cant believe the guy pretty much said "I hope sales of the bigger hutch go well cuz it costs more". Least he's honest about the fact they're more concerned about profit than welfare.

Back