• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Hutch

Rhysist

New Kit
So I got a new indoor hutch for my mini lop Tequila (The name because I was smashed at uni off Tequila while deciding to impress a girl to adopt a rabbit)

One thing annoying me about the new hutch is that when Tequila runs around the hutch, she kicks a lot of wood shavings out the hutch and onto the floor which gets on my feet and gets dragged around the house.

What's the best way to avoid this?

Thanks

Hi! :waves:

I use fleeces for my bunnies' bedding indoors. That way there's less mess. Then they just have litter & hay in their litter box. The fleeces are just cheap ones from the pound shop so we have a pile of them & they can be popped in the wash whenever necessary.

Otherwise you could try to create a 'lip' around the edge of the hutch to contain the mess. Like a tray in the bottom or something? Perhaps someone else will have experience of doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:wave:

The use of wood-shavings in now mostly considered out-dated and unfortunately depending on the type of wood used, they can cause health issues - respiratory.

The main reason it is recommended not to use either wood shavings & sawdust is because they are normally made from softwoods and these type of woods can release toxic chemicals called phenols. I've attached a couple of sources for reference below.

http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/woodshavings.htm

A lot of us also fit non-slip vinyl flooring (lino) into the bottom of the hutch as it reduced the mess of wood shavings and put blankets or fleeces for them to snuggle into. A suggestion that keeps coming up on here is that you fit the lino into the hutch and then seal around the edges using a bathroom type sealant (make sure to remove any excess) which holds it into place.

Then we would train our bunnies to use a litter tray (like a cat). You would use an absorbent substrate like wood based cat litter, newspaper, fitch bedding, megazorb and then cover with a layer of hay. This encourages rabbits to use their litter trays as it most rabbits like to easy and poop at the same time.

Please stick around as we would love to see pictures of your bunny.

:wave:

The use of wood-shavings in now mostly considered out-dated and unfortunately depending on the type of wood used, they can cause health issues - respiratory.

A lot of us also fit non-slip vinyl flooring (lino) into the bottom of the hutch as it reduced the mess of wood shavings and put blankets or fleeces for them to snuggle into. A suggestion that keeps coming up on here is that you fit the lino into the hutch and then seal around the edges using a bathroom type sealant (make sure to remove any excess) which holds it into place.

Then we would train our bunnies to use a litter tray (like a cat). You would use an absorbent substrate like wood based cat litter, newspaper, fitch bedding, megazorb and then cover with a layer of hay. This encourages rabbits to use their litter trays as it most rabbits like to easy and poop at the same time.

Please stick around as we would love to see pictures of your bunny.

Great advice :thumb: I would also recommend attaching a puppy pen or 2 to the cage so she can have a much larger area to run around in, or better still, bunny proof the whole room :thumb:

Yes, I'd go for a bare floor and then some paper based non clumping cat litter in a tray for the toilet corner. It makes cleaning much quicker and easier and is a lot less messy :)

Popping a strip of board or perspex along the bottom - attach with cable ties - might be an idea any way because if they aren't kicking out wood shaving it will be hay instead :lol:

Back