• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long after a neuter is it best to wait before bonding?

beki

Mama Doe
Collecting my new bunny today. he was neutered 2 weeks ago, no worried about pregnancy, ruby was spayed 5 years ago. how long is it best to wait to bond? I'm sure I only left it about a week after neutering when I bonded ruby and reggie but that was 5 years ago so I can't really remember. Also am I best getting him vaccinated before bonding? Ruby is vaccinated. Probably won't be able to get new bunny to the vets until next weekend now. Thanks :)

I think a couple more weeks or maybe even just a week before you bond, just to let him heal properly and his hormones die down. With vaccinations, I'm sure that I've read somewhere it's better to get them both vaccinated and then bond? But I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :wave:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would wait until after vaccination for bonding. And also it is recommended to wait 6 weeks after the op for the hormones to subside properly.

Thanks for the replies :)

I'll get him booked In to the vets for jabs after I have picked him up today. Probably won't be able to get him there until next weekend though.

6 weeks before bonding :( I'm not sure ruby can wait that long. I'm a bit concerned about her behaviour at the moment and I think it is because she is lonely. She has gone all moody :(

I collected bunny today. Poor boy he is still sore but not too swollen and has a collar on. I thought they didn't use them for rabbits but the vet gave it him and he can eat fine as its a small one, he just can't get to his back end and so is a little smelly. I'm going to take it off him later to see if he leaves his wound alone or not. So due to being sore still he won't be bonded with ruby for a couple of weeks anyway, don't want her giving him a nip down there! Ouch!

I have bonded bunnies before after 3 weeks and it has been successful but when it came to bonding Bobby and Rosie this did not work. Rosie was still very hormonal and tried to attack Bobby. I tried again at 5 weeks and same thing happened. I was all but ready to throw the towel in when we tried at 7 weeks. She was a completely different bunny and the bond was a doddle from there.

thanks :) ruby has seen him as he was hopping on the patio and she was in the hutch, they both seemed pretty interested so I hope its an easy bond. He will be vaccinated tomorrow so ill give it a few days for that to settle and will try a bond I think, it will be around 4 weeks post neuter. I just have to get ruby checked out by the vets tomorrow as she has a runny eye, I don't think there is an infection as I cannot see gunk but I will get the vet to have a look to be on the safe side.

Back