• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Still not interested in veggies? What do I do?

missy5408

Young Bun
Hello, I posted before about introducing veggies but after 2 months he will not eat veggies. I have guinea pigs so i know how important veggies are, but i put them in front of him and he just ignores them. I have placed them in his pellet dish, and nothing, i am going to start putting them in his hay, but he just walks over them. What do i do, i don't want him to not have veggies but i am out of ideas. :shock:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please :wave: but I'm sure that veggies aren't ESSENTIAL to a buns diet??

As long as he's getting lots of different types of hay and forage and eating lots of it I think that should suffice. Guinea pigs require a lot more vitamin C than rabbits, hence why them living together doesn't make a lot of sense (aside from it being unsafe anyway.) you could try offering more natural forage? There is a list on here somewhere of what types of plants/forage they can have :) You could try feeding grass too! So long as pellets aren't the overpowering food he should be fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that veggies are not essential for rabbits if they are eating a good pelleted food and plenty hay. It is unusual for a rabbit to dislike veg, so I do understand your concern. What veg have you tried him with?

I am aware that veggies are not essential and without them It can help you spot digestion issues as there is a less chance of diarrhea so it would be easier i suppose to see if something is wrong with him. I am currently feeding him a good pellet, and orchard grass hay and timothy hay. I will be searching for a timothy based food as i have had no luck locally, but he use to have unlimited alfalfa pellets before i got him, so i have cut him to 1/4 a cup once in the morning and at night, and it has helped his calcium go down in his urine so i am quite happy for now. But i would feel better if i could find a timothy based one. SO thank you for your advice and insight.

p.s Alibunbun how did you create that cute picture of your bunny in your signature?

Fortunately vegetables aren't a necessity in a rabbit's diet as my girls can't have them as they are prone to stasis and veg seems to aggravate it so sadly they don't have them any more. They have dried herbs, hay, pellets, muesli and Fibafirst sticks as well as their daily treat stick so have a very varied diet. They also have access to grass too.

His diet sounds good! In young buns alfalfa isn't too bad, but like you say it can cause excess calcium as they no longer require it for growth etc. :)

In regards to my picture, I used an app on my iPad called Moldiv, which is a montage creator and then uploaded the picture to photobucket :) which then gives you a direct link to the image which you can pop into your forum signature. I believe their is a thread somewhere on here that details it better then I can :wave:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back