• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

and the *dump a bunny trend * continues .

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
Today ive had to turn away 9 bunnies ... 5 from one place and 2 separate pairs .

we also took in one I was asked about yesterday .

Ive also beem made aware of 60+ rabbits needing space from somewhere in wales .. AND im trying to help with a situation close to home whjere 20 bunnies need help .

And despite some peoples thoughts ... this is not exaggerated . This is real ... in one day . :(

Last edited:
That's awful. Our local Cats Protection has had to deal with one rescue involving 16 cats, as well as all the other individual cats looking for homes.
Another chinchilla and 2 rabbits arrive here tomorrow.
It's relentless!

We've also just moved a horse into a new 'foster' home, where we are rescue back up if anything goes wrong. He's a 24 year old Dutch warmblood and been living on his own on the top of an exposed hill. The owner realised it was better to find him a home where he could get more tlc and shelter. Hopefully the same lady is taking a mare with tendon problems who will be pts if a companion home isn't found and we are rescue back up again.
Horses are becoming a real issue at the moment and finding suitable homes is even harder than finding ones for wee furries.

it is dreaful isn't it :(
Since me talking about us turning away 50 recently..we have turned away another 2 guinea pigs and 10 rabbits..it just doesn't stop :(
Hope you cope ok Angie..we just can't help them all

That's the hard bit though, isn't it. Turning away an animal when you know everywhere else is full and animals aren't being rehomed from you either, so new spaces aren't made. You have to avoid thinking about what will happen next.
These 2 dumped bunnies do not belong in a sanctuary and are perfectly suitable for rehoming, but we can't leave them where they are and we don't do rehoming as we don't have the time or inclination.

I spent most of yesterday and part of today doing admin stuff, there just aren't enough hours in the day.

Must be awful. I suppose you just have to take comfort and encourage from the difference you make to those you are able to help. :thumb:

Oh no :cry: how awful. I will continue to spread the word about BARC locally, hope some bunnies will be adopted soon :thumb:

:cry: is this unwanted Christmas presents do you think? I'm guessing bunnies bought for Christmas will be hitting the hormonal stage right now...

A rescue local to me say there is often a pre Christmas surge of bunnies as (I guess)people want a replacement baby bunny for christmas:shock:

We had more calls to hand in animals the 2 weeks before and since X mas this year than in the previous few years..it really is ridiculous and the pet trade must somehow be controlled
So please stop and think when you want a new pet. Make sure you can care for it properly for it's whole life.
And then rescue, resist the urge to buy a pet..Rescuing really does save lives :D

Last edited:
A rescue local to me say there is often a pre Christmas surge of bunnies as (I guess)people want a replacement baby bunny for christmas:shock:

I actually tried to rescue for "adoption" just prior to Christmas because it is the only time of year I can guarantee being home and available permanently for 2 weeks to settle a bun in etc.. Even telling the rescues (plural) that, I heard nothing at all and assumed they took a blanket policy not to rehome over that period for fear it was a so-to-be-unwanted Christmas present. It's so sad when (understandably) they tar people with the same brush :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from supporting rescues and spreading the word etc is there anything else people should maybe think about doing such as contacting their MP or MSP?

Sorry you had this experience ... but theres a lot of trust involved when rehoming animals ... if a rescue has had a bad experience of this happening then they will be more cautious , also many rescues may close over christmas due to staffing reasons . we need a Christmas break too .

I always look at each case individualy and there are deffinatly occasions when I would rehome over the Christmas period and definatly occasions when I would not .

Back