• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cant believe it - we have lost another bun - Lola Lovage

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
This morning when we went to feed etc the buns Lola was not moving and having examined we rushed her to the vet - she was in shock and low temperature - suspected partial blockage. Started IV and painkillers and glucose measure (only 6 but prob low because of shock) but she collapsed within 30 mins and died.

She was as fit and healthy as ever yesterday evening and dived into the pellets when we fed them all. That group gets soaked pellets so not even anything hard. Vet thinks it must have been torsion lower in gut rather than actual blockage as it was so very quick and sudden and she wasnt swollen up in a typical bloat.

Poor Lolly Lola - she was so beautiful - a cream and brown 'seal point' colouring - and only 8 years old. Came to us as a 'foster' and stayed . . . at least she had a wonderful life with us for several years.

The fourth we have lost in a month. We are in shock. Coltsfoot, Pumpkin, Mulberry and now Lola. It feels like we are shrinking and loosing everyone. Its not so long since Milk Thistle, little Crab Apple, Albert, Bluebell and of course Sunshine Daydream - all gone in the last 18 months.

The summer before last we had 36 - now we have 28 - despite adding one along the way.

Lola leaves behind two grieving and close companions - which we do not know what to do with. They were a group of 5 only a couple of months ago - now only two remain. That group has been hit very hard and all different causes. They look so lonely just the two of them.

Just cannot believe that less than 24 hours ago she was as right as rain and waiting for her dinner. So sudden.

Last edited:
That's awful - I am so very sorry.:cry:

At least she had a wonderful life you...and many prayers that no more journey to the bridge - it must be heartbreaking.

Binky free little Lola

should add that she had no other symptoms of anything and all other buns well this morning - no predators around and even if there were it doesnt bother our buns - they tend to wave at foxes and laugh at cats. Even the wldies who run loose at nights (behind our very powerful electric fencing etc etc) were up and bright and fine this morning - so cant have been anything like that. No signs nuerological this morning.Just stomach was very odd and like a slightly fluidy saggy football (sorry sounds so horrid to describe Lola this way when she has just passed away) and nothing else at all wrong apart from the total shock symptoms - no lumps, bumps, even final poos which must have been processed so to speak just before it happened were still coming through fine - so it must have been a very sudden twist or odd and low complete block. Gas was just starting to appear in stomach as she went. Sorry if all thats tmi - but I feel as if I need to explain how very very sudden and totally unexpected and out of the blue it was.

I am so sorry Parsnipbun. The odds are against you having ill bunnies with so many but I am sure it makes no difference to how much it hurts. Please remember you give them the best life possible though and that is what matters - quality not quantity.

I am so sorry Parsnipbun. The odds are against you having ill bunnies with so many but I am sure it makes no difference to how much it hurts. Please remember you give them the best life possible though and that is what matters - quality not quantity.

Thank you - of the ones we have lost it has been all sorts of things - Coltsfoot under his thousandth anaesthtic for his teeth, Pumpkin inoperable bowel cancer, Mulberry old age/heart failure, Albert kidney failure (not EC), Milk Thistle EC - sudden and dramatic onset but we tried so hard, . Bluebell was old age and arthritis as a giant and had lost her legs totally so pts. But Lola was just fit one moment and gone the next. We have had other illnesses as well that have made recoveries - other EC and two other stasis episodes in another bun - but all made recoveries - so I guess we should be grateful for those that have made it and become well again in that last 18 months . . . but its so hard.

Thank you - of the ones we have lost it has been all sorts of things - Coltsfoot under his thousandth anaesthtic for his teeth, Pumpkin inoperable bowel cancer, Mulberry old age/heart failure, Albert kidney failure (not EC), Milk Thistle EC - sudden and dramatic onset but we tried so hard, . Bluebell was old age and arthritis as a giant and had lost her legs totally so pts. But Lola was just fit one moment and gone the next. We have had other illnesses as well that have made recoveries - other EC and two other stasis episodes in another bun - but all made recoveries - so I guess we should be grateful for those that have made it and become well again in that last 18 months . . . but its so hard.

I emapthise so much. I have gone from over 30 Rabbits to just 11 now. I lost 13 in a period of just 8 weeks. Never recovered from that tbh. As in your situation, all the losses were unrelated. But when they occur one after another it leaves you in a state of 'shell shock' :cry:

Jacks Jane - re losses and unrelated (srry forgot to quote)

I really appreciate your reply - one starts to doubt oneself even though they are all 'unrelated' and all had known causes

We also have another three on borrowed time - two old age and one with worsening head tilt despite on going treatment over moths . . . but was just not expecting this . .

Jacks Jane - re losses and unrelated (srry forgot to quote)

I really appreciate your reply - one starts to doubt oneself even though they are all 'unrelated' and all had known causes

We also have another three on borrowed time - two old age and one with worsening head tilt despite on going treatment over moths . . . but was just not expecting this . .

I too really questioned myself when I had so many losses so close together. But as C kept telling me, none were in any way related, many had been on borrowed time for months. It is hard, very hard, as you dont get the chance to mourn one loss before you have to cope with another one :cry:

So sorry to hear about this. It must be very difficult to come to grips with so much loss happening so close together for you Parsnipbun, and for Jane. Binky free Lola. x

Back