• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to start?!

xnaomix

Warren Scout
I want to start fostering rabbits, someone on my go currently does it and love the idea
You see so many rabbits that are 'free to a good home' because their owners have lost interested and they could go to anyone so my plan is to foster them until I find the right home.
I need to make some living areas for them but I don't know where to start.. I have a shed already and 4 outdoor hutches and 2 indoor ones!
Where can I get cheap fencing from? Obviously I won't be making money out of this so need to find the things as cheap as possible.
If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you start out fostering for a rescue to see if it suits you or not?

Sometimes rescues can help fosterers out with housing, which could keep costs down initially.

I would definitely start out working with a rescue.

The problem with trying to rescue from free ads is that you can get yourself in trouble quite quickly. It is likely that any rabbits that come to you will need vaccinating and spaying/neutering before they can be rehomed. Plus any rabbit can have health issues, rabbits coming from poor living conditions will be more likely to bring stuff with them, be prepared for worms, EC, fleas/mites, possible ringworm and especially 'hidden' ailments that the old owners are fully aware of but don't want to treat so offload bunny such as gut issues and dental problems.

I know you expect to run at a loss but any rabbit you take in could potentially cost you hundreds within days. It is a very big commitment.

Plus you would need to have very strict quarantine between any new buns any your own rabbits, especially as I know you have a lot of vulnerable baby buns!

Obviously wanting to help is brilliant but working with a reputable rescue that has the funds and can help you out if you need it is still helping rabbits as if they have more foster spaces then they can help more animals.

Maybe find out if RSPCA Walsall or FatFluffs in Solihull - both Midlands based rescues- if they need any fosterers first.

They have both been involved in rescuing and rehoming for years so are very aware of the pitfalls as well as charity laws and so on.

It is very easy to get out of your depth very fast from meaning well.

Iv emailed all the rescues in Leicestershire just waiting for replies now :)

They finally replied after all this time & said they have lots of rabbits but at the same time have the same amount if not more people willing to foster them.. [emoji106] good to hear [emoji4]

Back