• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit is unable to move

Hello,

I have a 3 year old rabbit called Misty who has been unable to move since last Sunday morning.

We noticed she was not able to move, poop or wee so we took her straight to the vets. The vets were unsure of what was causing the symptoms. The vet said the stomach area "didn't feel right". After 48 hours and lot's of veg and food she started going to the toilet again. Initially her poops were very small and now they are of normal size and colour which is really positive.

We are now very concerned as it seem's she can now go to the toilet again but she is still unable to move freely. Her front paws do not sit central any more they hang to the right and her back paws tend to hang to the left.

Over the last couple of days she does seem to be getting a little stronger. If we pick her up she is able to try and pull away by kicking her back legs. The main issue is when stationary she is still unable to hop around like she used to.

We have been giving her Panacur since Monday and we are expecting blood tests back today or tomorrow but we still feel helpless.

I have listed out the current situation below:

• She is eating just as much as she normally would.
  • Her poops are of normal size and colour.
  • Her head is not tilted she often looks around the room.
  • The vet has confirmed her stomach area now feels much better and less bloated.
  • She is able to move her back and front legs but does not seem strong enough to move freely.
  • We are waking up every couple of hours throughout the night to check on her. We often find she has moved herself ever so slightly by pushing off her back legs.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? If anyone has any ideas of what we can do to improve the situation it would be appreciated as we are lost at the moment. :cry:

Hi :wave:
Sorry to hear about your bun, I don't have any experience of this at all, but did'nt want to read and run. I hope the blood test results show what's going on.
There are more experienced people who on here who can maybe help.
Good luck, hope things improve soon x

Thanks so much for the quick responses. We have looked at Floppy Rabbit Syndrome but we are now at the point she is eating and drinking normally. It's so frustrating as she seems normal in herself but we just cannot get her to hop like she used to. Her legs seem much stronger if I pick her up now her back legs kick where as before she was just limp.

Again thanks for the replies. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks so much for the quick responses. We have looked at Floppy Rabbit Syndrome but we are now at the point she is eating and drinking normally. It's so frustrating as she seems normal in herself but we just cannot get her to hop like she used to. Her legs seem much stronger if I pick her up now her back legs kick where as before she was just limp.

Again thanks for the replies. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

This is what happens as a Rabbit recovers from FRS. Once the Rabbit starts eating it can take several more days before they regain any mobility. Giving supportive fluid therapy can be beneficial as rehydration fluids contain potassium, one possible cause of FRS is potassium deficiency. Another theory is a Vitamin E deficiency, so a Vit E supplement might be prescribed too.

Has she had any metacam? It's an anti inflammatory And might be worth discussing with your vet. Sending vibes. X

We have just spoken to the vet. He has said the blood tests are back and all her organs are fine which is great news. He did say it could still be E-Coli so we need to keep giving her the Panacur which is still a concern.

I mentioned the Metacam and fluid therapy and he said bring her in later on and we will give her some Metacam.

Thanks for the information. He did say we may need to look at movement therapy as it could be an issue with her muscles. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

We have just spoken to the vet. He has said the blood tests are back and all her organs are fine which is great news. He did say it could still be E-Coli so we need to keep giving her the Panacur which is still a concern.

I mentioned the Metacam and fluid therapy and he said bring her in later on and we will give her some Metacam.

Thanks for the information. He did say we may need to look at movement therapy as it could be an issue with her muscles. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

I'm glad she is eating now. Panacur is good for E.C. and remember it must be given for a minimum of 6 weeks to take into account the life cycle of the parasite you are dealing with. You may find that improves symptoms on it's own.

It would also be a good idea to make sure her potassium and Vitamin E levels are up, as a deficiency of either of these two will affect her ability to move, if that's the issue here.

It will be good when the blood profile is back and then you will know what you are dealing with.

Good luck and I hope you get good results soon xx

I have had a rabbit with FRS and he got it twice and both times made a full recovery. Sending you vibes.

Back