• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Curiosity (Differences & similaritys Sweden-UK)

kotla

New Kit
:wave:I´m from Sweden (so please pardon my english;)) and I find it very interesting reading here about how it is in UK when it comes to things like insurance, spaying/neutering, vaccination and so on. I would like to know more about what´s going on outside my country -differences (when it comes to conditions and prices for example) but also similaritys .

A big difference I noticed is that you (can) microchip your rabbits- I think it´s great:thumb:As far as I know, it´s not possible to do that with a rabbit here.

I think that you also have more insurance companies that insure rabbits? Here we only have 2, and they have about the same conditions and prices. I pay approx 30 Gbp a year per rabbit- when we see a vet I pay approx 57 Gbp + 25%. Insurance doesn´t cover teeth and mental issues for example- I guess it´s the same for you?

How is it with Myxo and RHD over there? Is it common diseases? How much do you pay for the vaccin? I pay approx 36 Gbp per rabbit for the double vaccin. It´s not common diseases where I live- but I better be safe than sorry...

Another difference is that you have so many shelter for rabbits- very sad with all the abandoned bunnys:(

I will probably think of more things I´m curious of, and I will be very glad for every answer:)

Wow, £36 is a cheap premium - I was just complaining that mine is now £252! :lol:

Myxo is pretty common especially in rural areas. VHD I'm not sure about but I think because it's symptomless and sudden it's very often not recognised for what it is.

We do have a massive problem with unwanted pets here. People by them on impulse, like a toy, then can't be bothered with the effort and expense of caring for them properly. Does this not happen in Sweden? Why do you think this is? Are people just more caring towards their pets, or is it that people release them into the wild rather than taking them to a shelter?

Your english is great by the way :wave: And definitely better than my Swedish! :lol:

Hi :wave:
I don't know much about the insurance except that there are quite a few different companies and I think it would cost more than £30 a year over here :lol: I can answer the vaccine question as had mine done on Monday, I paid £40 each bunny for the double vaccine and that included a full check over. So it's about the same as Sweden. I've heard of quite a few cases of maxi but none of VHD (might not necessarily mean it's not uncommon though)
I think microchipping rabbits is starting to become more popular as certain rescues are beginning to microchip before rehoming and more awareness is being made (mine aren't chipped, but it's something I'm considering)
And regarding the shelter rabbits, it's unbelievable how many people over here don't even know that rescues exist for rabbits :shock: it is sad, and I can honestly say i will never buy from a breeder again whilst so many rabbits (as well as other animals) are in rescues.

Last edited:
Wow, £36 is a cheap premium - I was just complaining that mine is now £252! :lol:

Myxo is pretty common especially in rural areas. VHD I'm not sure about but I think because it's symptomless and sudden it's very often not recognised for what it is.

We do have a massive problem with unwanted pets here. People by them on impulse, like a toy, then can't be bothered with the effort and expense of caring for them properly. Does this not happen in Sweden? Why do you think this is? Are people just more caring towards their pets, or is it that people release them into the wild rather than taking them to a shelter?

Your english is great by the way :wave: And definitely better than my Swedish! :lol:

Thank you for your answer (and your kind comment about my english):)

That´s a lot of money you pay for your insurance:eek:- do you also have to pay deductible, or is it included in the price?

I don´t think people in Sweden are more caring towards their pets than you are. Even here people buy a bunny for their child, who get´s bored of it after a few months and then many of these bunnys end up in "buy and sell"-places like Blocket. I feel so sorry for them, I don´t think there´s an happy end for many of them. Also it´s so sad to see the bunnys at pet stores who are not longer "young and sweet" and don´t attract children/buyers. They just sit there, month after month:(
I don´t know the solution- but I do think that rabbits are too low valued and should cost a lot more to buy. And it´s definitely not a suitable pet for a (small) child...

Hi :wave:
I don't know much about the insurance except that there are quite a few different companies and I think it would cost more than £30 a year over here :lol: I can answer the vaccine question as had mine done on Monday, I paid £40 each bunny for the double vaccine and that included a full check over. So it's about the same as Sweden. I've heard of quite a few cases of maxi but none of VHD (might not necessarily mean it's not uncommon though)
I think microchipping rabbits is starting to become more popular as certain rescues are beginning to microchip before rehoming and more awareness is being made (mine aren't chipped, but it's something I'm considering)
And regarding the shelter rabbits, it's unbelievable how many people over here don't even know that rescues exist for rabbits :shock: it is sad, and I can honestly say i will never buy from a breeder again whilst so many rabbits (as well as other animals) are in rescues.

Hello!
That´s a good price, especially with that check-up included:) (The price I pay is quite good comparing to other clinics where it cost up to 50 gbp for vacc one rabbit)
I totally agree- I won´t support any breeder or wholesaler- will only adopt:thumb:

It's always interesting to compare countries, it's a good way to get a different perspective and maybe learn something new.

We have a big population of wild rabbits which carry/spread myxo so it's a very common disease here - do you have many wild rabbits? It's tough to judge how common rvhd is but the vaccine now does both with one jab so most are vaccinated for both.

Most animal can be microchipped - if you chip cats/dog then you can do a rabbit too, it's maybe just not that common? It's no much help if no one checks the chips.

Are many pets for sale in pet shops there?

It's always interesting to compare countries, it's a good way to get a different perspective and maybe learn something new.

We have a big population of wild rabbits which carry/spread myxo so it's a very common disease here - do you have many wild rabbits? It's tough to judge how common rvhd is but the vaccine now does both with one jab so most are vaccinated for both.

Most animal can be microchipped - if you chip cats/dog then you can do a rabbit too, it's maybe just not that common? It's no much help if no one checks the chips.

Are many pets for sale in pet shops there?

It´s not so many wild rabbits where I live- the biggest populations are in the south areas of Sweden and at island Gotland. A couple of years ago there was a large population of wild rabbits (or feral rabbits) in the capital city but they were extinguished/shot to death. I haven´t seen any here in a while, but I´ve seen them a few miles from here (actually around a friends weekend cottage) so I´m glad my rabbits are vaccinated because I use to bring them with me sometimes..

I will ask about the microchip- I´ve never heard anyone who does it, but who knows if they will start soon:?:

There are quite a lot of pets for sale in pet shops. But it´s not like in some other countries where I´ve seen they sell ferrets in pet shops- it´s commonly hamsters, guineapigs and rabbits in the shops here. Rabbits often share cage with guieneapigs:| We also have some pet shops who doesn´t sell any animals or just sell fishes. I´ve seen some very depressing hutches with nothing except for water and food-bowls, not even a house to hide in or any toys to play with:( The positive thing is that I´ve seen at least one pet shop here who sell (some of) their rabbits neutered/spayed.

Last edited:
Back