• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diarrhoea Woes In My Nearly 13yr Old Bunny

Jinny

Young Bun
I have a 12yr old (turned 12 in April 2014) Netherland Dwarf Male, who is my light of my life.

He was on 0.3mls of Loxicam as the vet said he was stiff up in his lower back. He has a history of bladder issues and problems. Also since 21st December I have been battling with his health.

Recap: He was very quiet and just not right, not eating, not really drinking. Vet trip - got Gut stimulant and sent home with liquid feed. Started feeding and watering by syringe every 3 hours. No improvement. Urine output low. Developed Diarrhoea.

Rang the vet who said keep feeding, and if I'm worried, bring him back. I questioned Littleblack needing anti-biotics. He said there was no sign of infection - keep going, and bring him back after Christmas. As soon as the Diarrhoea started, I added into his feed regime, Diaralyte, and Bio-lapis. The Diarrhoea settled, there was slight improvement, but nothing huge.

7th Jan - went back to the vets. He was brighter, but not at all interested in eating, and was lethargic. His urine output improved, but he was in pain with every urination, and strained to the point of rearing as he went, and the occasional squeak as the urine jetted out. The urine wasn't discoloured, but oh wow the smell! I was told to give 02.4mls of Loxicam twice a day, and given Septrin Anti-biotic, which Littleblack LOVES! However, the Diarrhoea was minimal in the day, but at night, (I last fed at 12:30am/1am and started the morning feed around 8am again, while I slept and did stuff I needed to do).....but in the morning - he was full of it.

On the 3rd day, I called the Vet. The vet said stop for 48hours, but in 3 days on antibiotics, there had been such an improvement in his general wellbeing (he was brighter in himself) that I was reluctant to do that. I feed every 90minutes and things improved - there wasn't as much Diarrhoea, but it was still there in the morning. So I also fed in the night, and that improved too..... however - the straining was more often.

I called the vet again, after 7 days twice a day, on the antibiotics, and yesterday we went in. They changed the anti-biotics to 0.6mls, once a day of Marbocyl 1% SA Oral. They full body X-Rayed him while we waited (he lies still on his side, on command, so they didn't need to sedate him! YAY!). No bladder, kidney stones/sludge, and no masses visible. What did flash up was rather bad Arthritis in his lower back and all the old injuries to his poor little body from his first owners...shattered ribs, fractures and breaks in the spine, feet, tail, etc. Heartbreaking! But nothing other than the spine showed up as a worry. His urine sample, I bought in, had no blood in it.

We changed the pain meds to Tramadol, and added Zantac, in case he has a stomach ulcer too. And I was told that as I hadn't medicated that morning (in case he needed other treatment) to take him home and give him the antibiotics straight away, and the other meds. I did just that. I fed him at 11:40am.

By 3pm he was coated in Diarrhoea. Vet said, give him one more dose of antibiotics this morning, but give him the 2nd dose of Tramadol and Zantac in the evening.

This morning - he was coated all over his underside, paws, belly, bum, tail - the works. He did not appreciate the bath! lol. However - in the night, for the first time since 21st Dec - he had been digging in the food bowl, and eaten a few bits. He also is sprawling out in the cage too.

The vet said if the Diarrhoea is worse, then stop the antibiotics - but I worry about it, as he is definitely still straining when wee-ing, so something is amiss there - his bladder was slightly imflammed - which points to infection - and so I'm worried about stopping that - but on the other hand - I don't know if its the antiboitics now, or the tramadol, causing the runny tummy.

Any ideas on what I can do about this? He is looking brighter again, and is back to grunting and growling and defending me from things on the tv he thinks is a threat, so generally he's perking up. Its just the Diarrhoea I can't seem to control for long.

Suggestions?

Is he having the antibiotic orally? If so then swapping to injections might help as that bypasses the gut.

Has the Vet run a blood profile recently ? I am thinking about his Liver function in particular.

Is it true diarrhoea that LB is passing or is it unformed cecotrophs ?

Having read through your post I am inclined to agree with Tamsin. In the first instance, changing oral meds to injectable to by-pass the gut. Then see what happens.

I was so sorry to hear about the treatment Littleblack had from his previous owners. That is utterly shocking.

I hope his gut settles down so you are able to continue caring for him xx

Has the Vet run a blood profile recently ? I am thinking about his Liver function in particular.

Is it true diarrhoea that LB is passing or is it unformed cecotrophs ?

No - that was mentioned but they decided to X-ray and try different anti-biotics first.

It is true diarrhoea (as far as I know). It has improved a little since the change of anti-biotics to once a day, and in how I give them.

I am giving roughly 7mls fluids (3mls Bio-Lapis, 2mls Diaralyte, and 2mls Cranberry Juice) before and after an approx 20ml feed of Oxbrow Critical Care feed as instructed. In the morning, I give one set of fluids, then half the feed, then the Anti-biotics, Tramadol, and Zantac, then continue rest of feed, and then another set of fluids. I do this every 3 hours. Then in the evening, around 11pm, I give the same, but without the anti-biotics. If I skip a feed, in the middle, he is coated again.

He has a lot of gas in the guts too. Very gurgley and crackely belly - especially if I skip a feed.

I went out yesterday night to see Queen in Concert. I was delayed in getting home, as my wheelchair bound friend, was abandoned by her driver, and so I had to go 2hours out my way, to get her home, then battle my own way back home. By the time I got home, he was so wet and dirty underneath, that his tail was like a stick, and when I squeezed the tail fur out - it was like wringing out a wet sponge, and the oh wow! The smell!

Since being on these new anti-biotics, his urine smell has changed, to a distinctly fishy odour, but he is so much brighter. He snuffles through his food bowl now, but isn't really eating anything from it. At feeding time, He grabs the corner of the bowl in his teeth and bangs it repeatedly on the floor, until I go to him. He has become a fur-covered Alarm Clock!

However, another issue has come up. :(

On Friday mid-morning, he was lying comfortably in the cage, but was repeatedly grinding his teeth loudly. I took him out, and he stopped a while. When I was feeding he was really loud in eating. In the evening, I noticed a lump in his cheek. It's small, but there. I felt sick. My other rabbit died at the age of 13 and half, around this time, 2 years ago, from a Cancerous Tumour that literally sprung up super fast, and was on the side of his face too.

I rang the vet, in the late afternoon, who said keep doing what I'm doing, and call Monday morning to get an appointment. Littleblack has stopped with the loud grinding now, but the lump today is a bit larger. I am hoping it's just an abscess or cyst that can be treated, or maybe I've done something wrong, as it is on the side, where I pushed the syringe into his mouth, and near the front too.

Either way - it's now 2:20am and I'm worried sick, while counting the hours till vet opening hours.

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that more problems have developed :cry: It sounds as though LB is very poorly :cry: I do hope that the Vet can help xx

I'm sorry to hear this update :cry: An abscess is much more common than cancer ...

I really hope it's something the vet can treat. xx

No - that was mentioned but they decided to X-ray and try different anti-biotics first.

It is true diarrhoea (as far as I know). It has improved a little since the change of anti-biotics to once a day, and in how I give them.

I am giving roughly 7mls fluids (3mls Bio-Lapis, 2mls Diaralyte, and 2mls Cranberry Juice) before and after an approx 20ml feed of Oxbrow Critical Care feed as instructed. In the morning, I give one set of fluids, then half the feed, then the Anti-biotics, Tramadol, and Zantac, then continue rest of feed, and then another set of fluids. I do this every 3 hours. Then in the evening, around 11pm, I give the same, but without the anti-biotics. If I skip a feed, in the middle, he is coated again.

He has a lot of gas in the guts too. Very gurgley and crackely belly - especially if I skip a feed.

I went out yesterday night to see Queen in Concert. I was delayed in getting home, as my wheelchair bound friend, was abandoned by her driver, and so I had to go 2hours out my way, to get her home, then battle my own way back home. By the time I got home, he was so wet and dirty underneath, that his tail was like a stick, and when I squeezed the tail fur out - it was like wringing out a wet sponge, and the oh wow! The smell!

Since being on these new anti-biotics, his urine smell has changed, to a distinctly fishy odour, but he is so much brighter. He snuffles through his food bowl now, but isn't really eating anything from it. At feeding time, He grabs the corner of the bowl in his teeth and bangs it repeatedly on the floor, until I go to him. He has become a fur-covered Alarm Clock!

However, another issue has come up. :(

On Friday mid-morning, he was lying comfortably in the cage, but was repeatedly grinding his teeth loudly. I took him out, and he stopped a while. When I was feeding he was really loud in eating. In the evening, I noticed a lump in his cheek. It's small, but there. I felt sick. My other rabbit died at the age of 13 and half, around this time, 2 years ago, from a Cancerous Tumour that literally sprung up super fast, and was on the side of his face too.

I rang the vet, in the late afternoon, who said keep doing what I'm doing, and call Monday morning to get an appointment. Littleblack has stopped with the loud grinding now, but the lump today is a bit larger. I am hoping it's just an abscess or cyst that can be treated, or maybe I've done something wrong, as it is on the side, where I pushed the syringe into his mouth, and near the front too.

Either way - it's now 2:20am and I'm worried sick, while counting the hours till vet opening hours.

You have a very old rabbit and it pains me that you are blaming yourself for Littleblack's lump. It may have many causes. You vet may want you to up his fluids given the amount he is losing to diarrhea and even those that may be accumulated in his cecum.
He may improve when you handle him because moving around and rubbing his belly helps him pass the gas. He may be grinding his teeth due to the discomfort from the gas and fluids in his gut. He may have even cracked a tooth in the process. His urine small may be more concentrated and stronger if he is not drinking or it could be from the critical care and the medications.

I am currently giving nursing care two my oldest rabbit ever (he is almost 14)

Back