• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cataracts

catxx

Mama Doe
My two had their jabs last night, as well as a general health check. Everything got the big thumbs up, except it does seem little old Bob is developing cataracts. I had suspected for a little while, and he got a scratch on his eye just before Christmas which must be where he is losing the ability to judge distances. He is completely happy and not bothered in himself!

These two will be 9 this year so it'll be age related.

Anyone else got seniors living with cataracts? They don't cause pain do they?

My two had their jabs last night, as well as a general health check. Everything got the big thumbs up, except it does seem little old Bob is developing cataracts. I had suspected for a little while, and he got a scratch on his eye just before Christmas which must be where he is losing the ability to judge distances. He is completely happy and not bothered in himself!

I have had a few elderly Rabbits who have developed cataracts. Whilst they all coped well and adjusted to deteriorating eye sight I had to monitor them closely as occasionally problems such as Glaucoma can develop and this could cause pain if left untreated.

I have had a few elderly Rabbits who have developed cataracts. Whilst they all coped well and adjusted to deteriorating eye sight I had to monitor them closely as occasionally problems such as Glaucoma can develop and this could cause pain if left untreated.

Thanks Jane! How can you spot Glaucoma?

Yep one of mine has cataracts in both eyes. They came on really suddenly - one of them seemed to appear overnight which really concerned me, but when my vet checked she said she could also see one developing in the other eye but it wasn't visible at that point...and the same happened with that eye several weeks later. He still has a dazzle reflex and he could certainly find the other bunny when bonding, so we think he can see light and dark and some semblance of movement. My vet says at best it's probably a bit like looking through a heavily frosted window.

He still gets around absolutely fine including still wanting to jump up onto things and sitting on a shelf - you just have to be really careful about moving too much around at any one time and making sure they know where everything is. He uses his whiskers and sense of smell a lot to work out where the food is and to make sure he doesn't bump into things.

I have a senior with me right now who has cataracts and she gets around beautifully. One eye is more advanced than the other but she even navigates her way around the garden when she decides she wants to go out.

You mention glaucoma. This is also a disease affecting elderly rabbits (and humans) but other than that, it's not related to cataracts. Just because he has cataracts doesn't mean it will 'progress' to glaucoma.

I regard cataracts as a badge of honour for being a senior rabbit :) and no, they are not painful, they simply affect vision

Thanks Jane! How can you spot Glaucoma?

Meant to post these links last night but I am poorly atm and had to go to bed.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cataract_Rabbit.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/Cat/Cat_en.htm

Here are a couple of my Rabbits who developed cataracts at the age of about 9

Chloe

014-18.jpg

Lara

004-18.jpg

Whilst Cataracts and Glaucoma may not be directly related they can and do occur together in some cases. Both Chloe and Lara developed Glaucoma a few months after Cataracts were diagnosed. Hence my vigilance now if I have other oldies who show signs of the development of Cataracts :)

How do you tell the difference between glaucoma and cataracts? Sorry for all the questions!!

How do you tell the difference between glaucoma and cataracts? Sorry for all the questions!!

If you have a read of the links I have posted it will explain what each condition is. Put simply Cataracts are cloudy patches that develop on the lenses of the eyes. This is seldom painful but it does cause vision impairment. Glaucoma is a build up of pressure within the eye as a result of the fluid contained in the eye (aqueous humour) being unable to drain properly. Left untreated the build up of pressure increases and can damage the optic nerve (which connects the eye to the brain) and the nerve fibres that come from the retina (the light sensitive area at the back of the eye). Glaucoma can be painful.

Cataracts cause the eye to be cloudy and opaque. When they are fairly advanced you can see them clearly - in both humans and animals.

Glaucoma is a completely unrelated condition, but which can develop with advancing years, in which the pressure in the eye increases and will cause the eye to bulge. However, before glaucoma becomes visible, if you think your rabbit is in pain, it's worth checking for glaucoma, just as we do in more elderly human beings :)

mowgli my mini lop developed cateracts due to old age, here is a photo of him with his missus rosie looking after him, he managed well we kept everything where he knew it was and rosie seemed to help guide him to

Back