• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help, I've been asked to hep out in a horrible bunny situation :( UPDATE

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
I really don't know what to do and I don't feel it's something I can ignore :(

I got to work this morning and was welcomed by "do you want a rabbit?!"
Apparently my bosses friend has a rabbit who has just had babies, sadly their husky has got in it where the rabbits were being kept it has killed all the babies and only mum is left :(
She has been left completely traumatised by the husky and desperately needs to get out of there poor little thing.

Anyone have any ideas for this poor girl?
I can short term foster but it would be short term only.

Last edited:
Oh that's horrible :(
I think if you can take her even temporarily, while a forever home is found it would be better for her, as I'm sure the stress of being near a threat would be doing more harm than good.

What a desperately sad situation. :cry:

If she is traumatised then she needs to be taken out of that situation quickly. Maybe try the rescues nearest to you and see if a place can be found.

I'm going to try and organise getting her out ASAP she must be terrified poor thing.
We can't take on another bunny full time though :(

If you can get her to safety and keep her short-term, then I am sure between us all we can find somewhere permanent for one bunny.

That's what I was hoping :)
She can't stay long term with us but I can't just ignore the situation it's horrible (

Do you know whether the babies had been born a while ago or whether she was in the process of delivering them?

Do you know whether the babies had been born a while ago or whether she was in the process of delivering them?

I don't know any more info than I posted, it's being relayed from a colleague at the moment.
I've written some questions in an email I'm going to send to him at lunch then hopefully will know some more detail.

I can't help right now but might be able to at some point. If anybody can foster then by taking the cage/hutch away it would stop them from being able to have more just in case that's a possibility.

I would also want to know where the dad is. Just in case he's left behind and is also at risk. If he is anywhere near then there is always a chance (depending on when the babies were born) that dad might have already gotten to mum again - so I think it needs to be asked - or whoever takes her own might get more than they bargained for in a months time.

If you can post more information when/if you can get it I'll ask around my rabbit friends too to see if anybody can assist.

Oh my, if bunny needs temporary accommodation I have space here :wave:

I'd much rather see the bunny fostered for a little while until it could perhaps go to TRC than going to SRR....I'd be happy to foster until Helen has a space

Oh my, if bunny needs temporary accommodation I have space here :wave:

I'd much rather see the bunny fostered for a little while until it could perhaps go to TRC than going to SRR....I'd be happy to foster until Helen has a space

That's a kind offer Catherine. I would say that I cannot offer rescue back up as I have 69 bunnies in my care at the moment and I cannot find more funds for more off site. But I'll bare her in mind when I do manage to rehome some and create space. Have no idea how long this would be however.

Females are in short supply locally so when spayed and vaccinated she will be much sought after I'm sure.

I can't help right now but might be able to at some point. If anybody can foster then by taking the cage/hutch away it would stop them from being able to have more just in case that's a possibility.

I would also want to know where the dad is. Just in case he's left behind and is also at risk. If he is anywhere near then there is always a chance (depending on when the babies were born) that dad might have already gotten to mum again - so I think it needs to be asked - or whoever takes her own might get more than they bargained for in a months time.

If you can post more information when/if you can get it I'll ask around my rabbit friends too to see if anybody can assist.

Dad was also killed by the sounds of things :(
Could you key me now what kind of thing I'd need to ask.
This sounds good as I cans short term foster :)

What you need to consider if you are going to help would be - if you can quarantine away from your own bunnies - just in case of nasties.

Re what to ask, I think I would just want to ensure that they aren't just going to get more bunnies when you've made their problem disappear.

They may be a really nice family who has had an unfortunate accident but they may also be people who don't care much if at all.

So if you feel you want to help then you have to decide upfront if you will help regardless of the health of the bunny who needs removing. She may be a baby herself, she may have had other litters (if they are back yard breeders for example or if they had unexpected litters). The fact that dad might have been killed as well may mean that he was in with her when the attack happened and if he was then she may well be 'covered' already. Mums can be re-impregnated successfully within hours of delivering babies.

So find out where Dad is or was.

Ask if you can have the hutch she is in so she will atleast feel 'at home'. And if you are going to do it then I'd probably suggest doing it soon so you can get her vet checked.

If you want to pick my brains personally then feel free to e-mail me and I can give you my phone number. therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

Do you know where the rabbit is located?

What you need to consider if you are going to help would be - if you can quarantine away from your own bunnies - just in case of nasties.

Re what to ask, I think I would just want to ensure that they aren't just going to get more bunnies when you've made their problem disappear.

They may be a really nice family who has had an unfortunate accident but they may also be people who don't care much if at all.

So if you feel you want to help then you have to decide upfront if you will help regardless of the health of the bunny who needs removing. She may be a baby herself, she may have had other litters (if they are back yard breeders for example or if they had unexpected litters). The fact that dad might have been killed as well may mean that he was in with her when the attack happened and if he was then she may well be 'covered' already. Mums can be re-impregnated successfully within hours of delivering babies.

So find out where Dad is or was.

Ask if you can have the hutch she is in so she will atleast feel 'at home'. And if you are going to do it then I'd probably suggest doing it soon so you can get her vet checked.

If you want to pick my brains personally then feel free to e-mail me and I can give you my phone number. therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

Do you know where the rabbit is located?

Thank you she is in Southampton :)

Back