• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you who give heat pads to outdoor buns when the temperature is minus....

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
do you go by the actual temperature or the 'feels like' temperature?

I've always gone by the real temperature and assume that the 'feels like' temperature is affected by wind, but as the hutches/aviary are insulated and have thick clear covers on then I consider their inside temperature to be the actual temperature or above. Little Skunk has a thermometer on the front of his hutch inside the cover and this seems to bear out my theory.

So, tonight for example the real temperature is 2 whereas the 'feels like' is -5, I'm going with heat pads to be on the safe side.

How does anyone else decide?

I go by the feels like temperature, just put 3 pads in for my buns, it supposed to be feels like -8 !

I go by ' feels like ', but all my own bunnies and those boarding with me are always brought inside, be it an out building or unheated conservatory. Safe and away from any draughts.

I've been putting heat pads in the shed for several weeks to be honest. One goes in the bottom level of the hutch, the other goes on the floor of the shed (which incidentally is also covered by a thick layer of hay which they also snuggle in to). If they don't want/need the heat pads then they won't use them; simple as that.

My buns are indoors, but the principle is the same ... I heat the pads up when the weather turns, put them inside their fleecy bed, and let them decide where they want to sit for the night :lol:

Well there's no way the indoor bunnies are getting heat pads, I'd never get to bed with all the time spent warming them all up!

I've taken heat pads to the outdoor buns but despite it snowing quite heavily it really doesn't feel that cold.

Well there's no way the indoor bunnies are getting heat pads, I'd never get to bed with all the time spent warming them all up!

I've taken heat pads to the outdoor buns but despite it snowing quite heavily it really doesn't feel that cold.

Sometimes after I've done all the food and clearing up I remember I haven't done the heat pads. I sit at the table reading the paper until they are all heated - another half an hour ..... zzzzzz

Feels like, but not meteorological, actual freezing-my-backside off temperature. Same would go for indoors if it got that cold ;P We live right by a waterway so it always feels a bit colder than it is, and my outdoor thermometer is right by the house so sheltered.

I put a heat pad in under the straw every night now, (and another one in the morning too) whatever the weather is. I think they only sleep in the closed in bit of the hutch on really cold nights. The rest is full of hay and I think they choose that whenever possible as a sleeping spot. Certainly during the day they snooze in the open part of the hutch (too nosey to be in the other side where they cant see what is going on!). Thats when they arent running about in the cold in the run of course!

I heat pad at about 5 degrees day or night.
They have covers over the windows of the playhouse all the time now. Plus horse rugs over the hutches (with an opening so they can always get out) & a plastic sheet over the top so it doesn't get too wet. Inside there is a cardboard box in the sleeping compartment with hay in it & hay stuffed around the outside. The heat pad goes in here when needed.

Back