• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning outdoor bunnies in this weather!

k1984

Mama Doe
Is anyone else having a nightmare cleaning outside bunnies in this weather? Hay and gale-force winds/snow/pouring rain do not go hand in hand :?:shock:

Yes, it's awful. It seems to take twice as long in bad weather as everything is working against you. :(

It isn't the best :lol: I find it a lot better though, now I have them in a shed with rubber floor and large litter tray :thumb:

This is one of the reasons we bought our 2 a 8ft x 6ft shed. You just take all your bags etc in with you and stay nice and dry. We leave giving the aviary a sweep until it's a nice day as fortunately ours are good and just use their trays inside the shed.

If you possibly can get a shed! In the old days when I had my boys, and they lived in the shed, it was so cozy of a winters night with the door shut tight and the heater on, and there was a light in there too so you could see what you were doing. My mum would sit and snuggle the buns while I mucked out and we'd listen to an audiobook together.

I used to have to wrap up with hat scarf gloves and do the hutches :censored:

Thank heaven for the invention of the Shed/summer house :lol::thumb: run in take everything with you, sweep around rabbits trying to help, litter tray empty into bin bag re-fill feed and run back down garden with rubbish :D job done:oops:

All my outdoor rabbits are in sheds. I love going to clean them out. I have a little plastic child's stool in each shed that I sit on and then I arrange all the bags (straw, newspaper and rubbish bags, hay and yummies) and get started.

The hares have four litter trays (two main ones that they use a lot and two hang out ones that are usually dry).

The quad have three trays.

The indoor pair have two trays.

Mind you, even with sheds it is waaay nicer going out in dry, preferably sunny weather.

Those big checked bags which zip up make great hay and straw carriers.

Mine are in a shed but I still hate cleaning them out, because apart from the quick sweep everything else is outside! I hose down their trays every time I clean out so I always get freezing. I had to put N&T back in early last time I cleaned them out because one of their litter trays went flying across the lawn :shock:

It's days like today that make me really glad mine are indoor buns. Mind you, their litter tray still needs emptying but I have to admit that it was peeing down when I got home so I just put the lid on the under-bed storage box I use as their litter tray and stuck it outside. Hopefully it'll be dryer tomorrow

Mine are in a shed but I still hate cleaning them out, because apart from the quick sweep everything else is outside! I hose down their trays every time I clean out so I always get freezing. I had to put N&T back in early last time I cleaned them out because one of their litter trays went flying across the lawn :shock:

If there's room get yourself a plastic storage chest for hay/bedding/all that shenanigans and keep it in the shed. They love to sit on top of it too.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homeba.../keter-pack-and-go-outdoor-storage-box-990358

Can't you just wipe the trays out with pet safe disinfectant and kitchen roll? I used to have a plastic kitchen bin right there in the shed.

Cleaning the buns is definately a nightmare at the moment! I can't wait for their shed to be done so I can move them in . . . it's going to be as nice for me as it is for them! :lol:

I used to have a shed/aviary set up, but all the bunny hay etc was kept in the garage, so when we moved I made sure I got a big enough shed to have a separate storage area for hay and stuff incorporated - heaven! I only had hutched for the first 6 months of bunny ownership, but even then I was lucky that they were in an area between 2 walls so I could have a plastic roof over the top. I can't recommend having a shed for the bunnies enough!

Back