• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So worried about buns being cold

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
I am well sick of this winter now-sorry I know it looks pretty, and I if I didn't have the buns it wouldn't bother me.
My two are outside buns, well they are in a 5 x7 shed with attached 7 x 5 run. They also have separate runs on lawn for better weather.
Went out this morning to feed them, had to smash the ice off bolts to get through the enclosure door. The shed is insulated, but I could still see my breath. It's about -3 at the moment but the windchill is at about -6 and that's daytime ! They have 2 hutches that they go in, well filled with hay, and snuggle safes. Both hutches are covered in a heavy futon, and I pull a duvet over the fronts at night. They have been confined to the shed for 3 days now, and don't seem too bothered, but I can't sleep for worrying about them. The enclosure is full of snow which has frozen solid, just can't put them on that can I ? As fast it gets cleared, we just get more. If I was "allowed" to bring them indoors, they would be in a pen, but then the house is too warm for them.
Am I being over fussy ? I am in and out to them about 6 times a day, and whilst I am fit and healthy, I am now 61 ! Last year was my first winter living here, and it was mild in comparison. When I told the vet all the precautions I'd taken, she laughed at me, and said buns would be sweating !.
Sorry for long post folk, but I've no one else to ask really.

Bunnys cope well with the cold. Honestly they will be fine. I have 2 indoor bunnys and 4 outside buns. The outside ones get a beautiful winter coat. I leave the run open all year, whethr its raining, snowing, frozen etc. If its to cold they will chose to stay inside. When I picked up Tonic and Peggy from the rescue it was snowing, and not one bun was huddled inside, they were all sat out in the open x

If your bunnies are fit and healthy, then from what you have described I personally think they will be fine with what you are providing. They will have grown winter coats, so will be nicely insulated, and you are providing fantastic shelter to shield them from the winter weather.

That said, I know exactly what you mean about worrying. Mine are outdoor bunnies, their accommodation is insulated and I know they will be fine in winter, but I am a worrier. I have tubular heaters in each of my kennels, I am sure the bunnies would be fine without them, but it just makes it a bit more snug and gives me piece of mind. The tubular heaters don't make the accommodation hot, they just give a very gentle warmth that takes the chill off.

Just be aware that if you did bring them inside, then you wouldn't be able to put them back out until the weather warms again in the Spring.

As the others here have said, buns do cope well with the cold, so long as they aren't elderly and frail. Some people have insulated the inside of their sheds to keep out drafts.

I know my two big lops years ago were always fine outside and insisted on having a run in the garden even if it was snowy and icy out there

Thanks for replies everyone, think I'm just panicking really.

Moi- yes they have beautiful thick coats.

Tracey-they both have a snugly fleece blanket each, thanks to your skills.

Mighty Max- yes I insulated the shed with thick cavity wall insulation stuff back in October, had a feeling we were in for a bad winter ! Sooo glad I did !

I would even go so far as to say let them have access to their run, even if it is full of snow. As long as they can get back in their cosy shed/hutch where it's nice and warm and dry I think they would appreciate being able to get out and get some fresh air and having a dig in the snow. :)

I would even go so far as to say let them have access to their run, even if it is full of snow. As long as they can get back in their cosy shed/hutch where it's nice and warm and dry I think they would appreciate being able to get out and get some fresh air and having a dig in the snow. :)

Thanks Lisa, yes I've done just that, don't think they're too impressed with it, but as you say, it's fresh air !

Doughnut is an indoor bun but I always feel her ear to see if she is too hot, so you could always feel their ears to see if they are cold or not. I read this is how you can tell their temperature but I may be wrong!

Back