• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I have the only bunny who is scared of wind?

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
There was I thinking bunnies could live outdoors! Obviously I was mistaken.

Every time we have a lot of wind at night somebun keeps me awake thumping. At 4.30am I was sitting in his room with him.

Surely bunnies shouldn't mind wind? What do the wild ones do?

Rudy and Elijah are real scardies too. Rudy is the biggest wuss ever. I have some small fishes and I smash up big fish food for them into smaller crumbs and every time I do it (twice daily for months) Rudy gets all wide eyed and starts thumbing, I've no idea why he thinks it is a threat. But, yeah,got house bunnies scared of the wind too. Elijah does thump but thankfully not much over the last few days but has looked on the alert and unrelaxed often.

bisc doesn't like it either. he's not as bad inside as he was outside though. in the shed he would be really scared, wide eyed and thumping alot. :(

Wild ones would go down into their deep deep windproof (possibly sound proof) burrows.

Even my cats freak out when it's windy. I read somewhere that animals don't like wind because it messes with their senses (hearing, smell etc). Maybe for the indoor buns this is just instinctive knowledge so they still get annoyed or scared by it.

Yes Mr Higgins is scared of the wind. Fireworks, loud music, dogs barking etc don't worry him at all but strong wind has him thumping like mad. I think I read somewhere about it messing with their senses too. I think it causes pressure to build up in their heads.

My Boris used to be scared of the wind (indoor bunny), especially when he was a single bunny. Once he was bonded with Bella (who knows no fear :lol:) he became a lot more relaxed.

Ah well I'm glad he's not the only one! I thought I had a scaredy bun.

Due more wind on Weds night I might just leave the TV on for him to drown it out!

Spenser dislikes the wind. I had to get up through the night when we had a storm and comfort him. He was quivering, his fur all sticking out like a snow-covered hedgehog.

If you think of all the extra smells around and how fast moving and also far reaching they will be, it's pretty understandable they would be scared- add to that the scary noises and also, probably, the lack of ability to sleep and I think it's understandable. My wildie used to really freak at wind- he wouldn't eat any time it was windy, and windy durations were a nightmare.

Mine don't like the wind either ( we are on the edge of the Peak District )... they can't listen out for predator noises, as the wind covers up all those sinister rustles, etc... which makes windy weather a great hunting time for foxes / predators..

Mine like to be ensconsed in their cosy shed ( warren ) , then I feel they do feel secure, and thumping, or reacting just to make their feelings known, like a wild bun would. So, I think the Buns that are bothered by wind are 'smart buns' :)

In really windy weather I close the run access, and inside the insulated shed ( with soft warm nightlight ) it feels like a little Oasis from the storm... for me too... as I go out to spend time with them every night. Looking forwards to summer time x

Last edited:
Even my cats freak out when it's windy. I read somewhere that animals don't like wind because it messes with their senses (hearing, smell etc). Maybe for the indoor buns this is just instinctive knowledge so they still get annoyed or scared by it.

Yes Mr Higgins is scared of the wind. Fireworks, loud music, dogs barking etc don't worry him at all but strong wind has him thumping like mad. I think I read somewhere about it messing with their senses too. I think it causes pressure to build up in their heads.

I Reckon so too , air pressure .

Last edited:
Wild bunnies grow up with the wind and even if they haven't encountered it directly they've a whole colony of other bunnies to take their cues from :)

Try playing a radio quietly on some nights, not just windy ones but now and then, and then when it's windy you can pop the radio on and it will make the wind noises less startling. Making sure bunnies have lots of cover is good too, you could try some extra cardboard boxes for distraction and hiding in.

And absolutely don't teach your rabbits that thumping means cuddle time :lol:

Wild bunnies grow up with the wind and even if they haven't encountered it directly they've a whole colony of other bunnies to take their cues from :)

Try playing a radio quietly on some nights, not just windy ones but now and then, and then when it's windy you can pop the radio on and it will make the wind noises less startling. Making sure bunnies have lots of cover is good too, you could try some extra cardboard boxes for distraction and hiding in.

And absolutely don't teach your rabbits that thumping means cuddle time :lol:

LOL well I never normally get up to thumping but I started to get worried he'd managed to get trapped somewhere or something! (She says trying to convince herself that Ludo isn't completely spoilt)

Back