• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking about cancelling the buns' insurance....

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
So...I've NEVER claimed for Apache...and now his monthly premium is £21 (including multipet discount) and the excess is £110 plus 20% of the bill :shock:

He's cost me £130 recently so I'd only get about £8 back. :lol:

I'm seriously considering cancelling it and just putting the £40 a month in a separate account to save for emergencies. I know my mum would lend me some in an absolute crisis so the buns would never go without treatment.

Any thoughts? Just wanted to check other people's opinions in case I'm overreacting. I've had him for 6 years so have probably paid them over £1000 for £8 back. :?

I'm in the same boat with my older bunnies re whether it's worth it at this stage. I haven't made the decision yet. ...or at least in my head I've made the decisions, I just haven't got the courage to carry it through
:lol:
I have at least claimed on most of my policies so have had benefit so far. If I cancelled my 4 oldest bunnies I could have £700 a year to save, then there's the money I would have spent on the excesses that I'd be spending anyway. Tempting. One of the factors I consider the insurance is for is 'long term' conditions, the older they get the less 'long term' becomes a factor.

so Apache's is £252 a year with £110 excess :shock::shock: I thought mine were bad at £184 *gulps*[/

Last edited:
I don't get why it's so much when he's not that old and hasn't had any health problems :?

ETA but part of me thinks that now he's getting on, he's likely to need more vet treatment, and I should keep up the insurance to get the benefit of all those years of paying :?

I don't get why it's so much when he's not that old and hasn't had any health problems :?

ETA but part of me thinks that now he's getting on, he's likely to need more vet treatment, and I should keep up the insurance to get the benefit of all those years of paying :?

Sod's law says if you cancel you will wish you hadn't, that's why I'm too chicken to do it. I insured the 4 I had at the time, 5 years ago, and then decided it was too much (c£400 for the lot of them) then a few months later Artie started with health problems, surgery for £336 and ongoing treatment costing c £350 a year... he was 4 when I cancelled. He then went on at age nearly seven to have two surgeries totalling £1400. I swore I'd never not have insurance again. Looking at the high excesses though and they are only paying 80% of the bill anyway I'm seeing it as much less of a gamble:?

Personally I don't think rabbit insurance is worth it! Way too expensive and then most of the problems you can't even claim for! :roll:

You can claim for most conditions if you insure them before any conditions start. It's only really routine dentals you can't claim for, I can't think of any other exceptions. I moan a lot about the cost of insurance but Elijah has cost Petplan about £5000, I've paid them about £600 in premiums.... I'm very lucky I insured him. £900 for blockage surgery would be very scary without insurance.

I've just had a tally up and I've made a total of apx 60 claims and not one has been turned down.

... I've probably talked myself into not cancelling :lol: I can't bear the thought of another blockage surgery coming out of real money :oops::oops:

Last edited:
My buns are just coming up to two, never had treatment, but I'd worry myself sick if I didn't have them insured. My cat is also with Petplan, he had over £3,000 worth of treatment last year, so I am well up money wise. It's a personal choice at the end of the day I suppose.

I'd never not have it, not with Alfie and his illnesses :roll:

Personally I just wouldn't risk it - chances are they'll get ill once you've cancelled!

I'm thinking this at the moment myself. I pay approx £50 a month for my 6 bunnies - approx £10 each for Slipper, Blueberry & Cherry, £7.45 for Jacquetta and Lady Katherine & approx £8 for Blackavar. Slipper & Cherry have required a dental each, Jacquetta and Lady Katherine are totally healthy *touch wood* as is Blueberry. Blackavar has had two dentals and prone to stasis which is a pre existing condition on his policy. I wonder why I bother paying the insurance when I have to pay for their dentals anyway and associated stasis which is anywhere between £200-£400 on average per occurrence. Plus I now have had to get a credit card for emergencies which paid for Cherry last week. So I am wondering if I wouldn't be better off cancelling their insurance and hoping I won't need to regret it. Then again I'm scared I'll cancel it and then need it :roll: waaaaaa!

Oh bloody hell that is terrible. Do you mind asking who you are with ?

I thought Mr Bennett was expensive at £15 plus a month but I have in the past claimed £1200 or so twice from the emergency vets, ( one may have been Cutie-pie), and excess was £50 and/or £75.

I would say if something awful does go wrong and a bill ends up being over £500 or £1,000, it is worth it and unfortunately you never know when this may happen. With Mr B and Cutie-pie it happened when they were younger. I haven't needed to make a big claim in two years but too scared not to pay for insurance now in case one of those big bills might happen.

I'm with PetPlan. It's hard to tell what to do but if I'd never had them insured at all I'd have £1000 - £2000 in the bank now to cover any future vet fees. :?

I finish my job in September so might wait to see what happens then...if I get a new job that's decently paid I'll just put money by. If I don't, I'll keep up the insurance just in case. The risk is that once I quit the insurance, that's it forever, as no one will insure them now they're over four!

I took the very difficult decision to cancel the insurance for my two when it came up for renewal in September because not only had the premiums increased but the excess and amount I had to pay towards any treatment had rocketed (they will both be 7 this year). I have opened a separate bank account for them (which they share with my car tax and insurance) and anything above that will just have to go on credit card. One of my 3 cats is also insured with them and I'll probably cancel that when it comes up for renewal in March. (I'm with PetPlan.)

I'd had Bailey for 3 years and never claimed, and was thinking of cancelling his insurance when he suddenly got ill. His bill came to just over £2000 over about 6 weeks :shock:. Although Bailey didn't pull through, I'm glad that I kept the insurance so that I could get him the best treatment I could.

I have never insured my bunnies. Our vets bills have been about £5,000 a year for the last few years but I still think I would not have been any better off insured. We also have other small animals who are included in this bill and so I just put an amount away each month towards the cost. Of couse as its been so high it has used some of our savings but thats what you get for having more than the norm

We also have a lovely vet that has given us 15% discount on our account.

I dont insure any of my animals. l put money aside each month so that they can always have treatment if needed.

Eight rabbits, two guinea pigs, two hamsters and two dogs would be a heck of a lot of money each month to insure.

I don't insure and over the life of my previous bunny that was definitely worth it. So far with Ludo it has been better not to insure too.

Back