• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt

Dehlia

New Kit
Hello
My 2 year old rabbit has developed a head tilt, last week I noticed and went to pick him up to get a closer look as it was dark and dosnt usually mind being picked up, he figeted around so much I thought he was having a fit so put him down where he continued. I rang the vet and went down that same night. He said it might be a parasite and gave me 10 days worth of panacur (rabbit wormer) but he didn't sound hopeful. It has be almost a week and he is looking slightly better, his eye has stopped racing back and forth and head tilt is a little better but it's like one side of his face he can't move and his balence is very bad. He looks very sorry for himself and isn't his usual self. I now don't think he has had a fit but was just trying to get up as every time I pick him up he sort of flops then when I put him down he rolls around like he's having a fit but I stand him right again and he's fine, it's very upsetting to see. Should I take him back to the vets or maby seek a second opinion off a different vet?

Sorry to hear this :(

Definately speak to another vet, or get some more panacur as treatment (it's what we were given for Leo when he had EC) should be 28 days. 10 days is usually as a preventative, 28 days is for the 'cure'.

Hello
My 2 year old rabbit has developed a head tilt, last week I noticed and went to pick him up to get a closer look as it was dark and dosnt usually mind being picked up, he figeted around so much I thought he was having a fit so put him down where he continued. I rang the vet and went down that same night. He said it might be a parasite and gave me 10 days worth of panacur (rabbit wormer) but he didn't sound hopeful. It has be almost a week and he is looking slightly better, his eye has stopped racing back and forth and head tilt is a little better but it's like one side of his face he can't move and his balence is very bad. He looks very sorry for himself and isn't his usual self. I now don't think he has had a fit but was just trying to get up as every time I pick him up he sort of flops then when I put him down he rolls around like he's having a fit but I stand him right again and he's fine, it's very upsetting to see. Should I take him back to the vets or maby seek a second opinion off a different vet?

I'm sorry about your young rabbit being so unwell. It must be very scary for you as well!

I think you should find a vet who is very knowledgeable about rabbits, as for the parasite (E.C.) the treatment is a minimum of 6 weeks. 10 days will do nothing I'm afraid, given the life cycle of the parasite.

It's important that your little one should also be on an anti inflammatory such as Metcam, in order to lessen the chance of damage to the nervous system. This will help if the cause of his symptoms is E.C. and head tilt.

In addition, it could be related to the inner ear, so an antibiotic should be prescribed to cover this.

You should see an improvement in two or three weeks, but if not, the meds regime can be revised.

Good luck xx

Back