• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SORTED Rspca are going to pts 20 bunnies tomorrow

marleysworld

Mama Doe
Just seen on my facebook page that Yorkshire Animal Shelter have been advised the RSPCA are collecting 20 bunnies tomorrow and are going to pts same day.
I'm not in a position to take any buns at the moment but if anyone can help?

Last edited:
You beat me to it, I was just looking to see if there was any posts on this.

"Hiya, Abbey from Yorkshire Animal Shelter here. RSPCA are collecting 20 (yes 20!) rabbits on Tuesday and as there's nowhere for them to go they are already booked in to be pts at 2pm that day. If you or anyone you know can take some, the RSPCA will get them health checked and hopefully we can arrange to get them neutered too. You are not the only one getting this message! If you can help at all, please call Greengates Cattery on 0113 284 2528 or the YAS mobile 07968 817 803 and ask for Judith."

They are now asking that any enquiries about the buns be through email as the number of calls has broken their mobile and that they need the Cattery phone free for actual business calls :shock:

They don't give their email but I assume it's easy enough to find on the Yorkshire animal shelter website.

I can help with transport southwards. Can do overnight stays for a limited number if required before onward transport.

What a sad situation. I hope the rabbits can be saved.

:shock: how terrible :cry: I can offer temporary accommodation if necessary, but I really can't take on any more rabbits if I'm being realistic as much as I would like to :cry:

How sad, is more known about the situation, for example are the bunnies healthy or do they have any conditions and what kind of environment are the x coming from a byb or accidental breeder?

has anyone clarified that this is true ?

I have been looking into it since last night and my information says that The buns are to go to the cattery mentioned yes ... They will then be health assessed ...and from there moved to rescue spaces .

Io wish posts like this were circulated around rescues not the public ...on facebook I jhave seen people offering to take these when they obviously mean to eat them or use them as bait .
I know we have to try and find rescue spaces ... and I know that sometimes the rspca pts ... but indiscriminantly sharing info like this can often make things worse .

Makes me wonder if the RSPCA would be so quick to kill 20 dogs that they were collecting. :/

If they didn't have space yes I think they have contracts with boarding kennels for dogs as well as their own facilities whereas they don't tend to for rabbits. Personally I think there are far worse fates then being humanely pts

I have been looking into it since last night and my information says that The buns are to go to the cattery mentioned yes ... They will then be health assessed ...and from there moved to rescue spaces .

Io wish posts like this were circulated around rescues not the public ...on facebook I jhave seen people offering to take these when they obviously mean to eat them or use them as bait .
I know we have to try and find rescue spaces ... and I know that sometimes the rspca pts ... but indiscriminantly sharing info like this can often make things worse .

Why would they lie about it? It's posted on their facebook site.

Doesn't it show people how dire the rescue situation with rabbits is though? Maybe there's people on FB that have seen this that had no idea that there's rabbit rescues/that rabbits are pts for lack of space/that rabbit fosters are necessary.

Surely it's up to the rspca to weed out people that want to eat them and use them as bait?

Sorry, I just never understand why people get upset when things like this are shared :?

If they didn't have space yes I think they have contracts with boarding kennels for dogs as well as their own facilities whereas they don't tend to for rabbits. Personally I think there are far worse fates then being humanely pts

I absolutely agree ^^

I agree too. Just wish the RSPCA would at least try to rehome before pts so quickly. Sometimes I think they are their own worst enemy :(

I agree too. Just wish the RSPCA would at least try to rehome before pts so quickly. Sometimes I think they are their own worst enemy :(

The problem with the R.S.P.C.A. is that on the whole they have no 'headquarters' where they can hold animals for any length of time. They are therefore stuck if there is literally no room in any of their establishments or with their boarding facilities.

Yes but if they don't have anywhere to put them whilst they look for homes then they cant. Yes other rescues can help but sometimes that isnt always great because if the rescue hasn't been checked and approved by the rspca then it could be a case of frying pan to fire for the animals

Back