• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit flooring

My bunnies are in meshcube pens on my garage floor but currently just on concrete with scattered fleeces and hay. This is just temporary until i put some proper flooring down. But what flooring do i use? My ideas have been - carpet, lino, coloured foam kiddies mats, equine rubber/eva matting?? which would be best or any other suggestions?

Lino is good but can be a bit slippery but there are non-slip versions out there. Equine rubber matting would be great if they're not chewers - probably not an issue if they can't get to the edges. My personal preference would be rubber matting as it gives some insulation against a cold concrete floor, some cushioning for their hocks and us very easy to sweep or wipe clean.

We're putting stable matting in the shed we're building at the moment for all the reasons above: easy clean, non-slip, insulating and cushioning. We're solving the chewing issue by putting the flooring down before we put the internal walls in and then sealing it with aquarium sealant but in your case if you have the matting edges just outside their pens it would equally effective.

Back